email scam

trev23
On our wavelength

got a email this morning looked very official

subject

We could not processes your last bill

Single Column

Dear t.---@ntlworld.com,

The payment for your latest VirginMedia Bill failed. It appears that some of the billing details associated with your account have expired.

Your service is pending disconnection on:
15 March 2018

To avoid interruption of service we strongly recommend that you update your billing details now.

Click here to update your billing details [link removed by mod]

Thank you for being a VirginMedia customer!

VirginMedia 

Registered office: Media House, Bartley Wood Business Park, Hook, Hampshire, RG27 9UP
Registered in England and Wales with number 2591237

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK I would have thought virgin mail would have spotted that one, but no it got through. I knew it was spam because it was sent to the wrong email address.

so the next question is if I mark as spam will it stop virgins emails getting through?

[MOD EDIT: Inappropriate Hyperlink removed, please review the Forum Guidelines]

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Similar to this one listed by the security team: http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/Latest-Phishing-News-28-02-2018/m-p/3664057

Marking it as spam should not affect genuine emails from VM.  The spam filters don't work on email address alone and in any case the scam email would not have been from a VM email address.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

12 REPLIES 12

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Similar to this one listed by the security team: http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/Latest-Phishing-News-28-02-2018/m-p/3664057

Marking it as spam should not affect genuine emails from VM.  The spam filters don't work on email address alone and in any case the scam email would not have been from a VM email address.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

trev23
On our wavelength
thanks for the advice

this scam is still active, a new warning should be issued and action taken against sender  sgtcjnoeqf@team.com

@dunfarming wrote:

this scam is still active, a new warning should be issued and action taken against sender  sgtcjnoeqf@team.com

The sender can be spoofed, i could send you the same scam email appearing to come from a legit VM domain without working for VM 😛

maccapacca25
On our wavelength

I just got the following email.Screenshot_20180909-072600_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20180909-072547_Email.jpg

Checked my bills and all present and correct, last bill went out on time.

Are virgin media aware of this?

Virginmedia well aware of these scam emails been doing the rounds for months and months now..

Spam is the bane of ISP's.  It has been covered relentlessly on these boards over the years.   There is quite a lot of detail on how it is and can be done, how to spot fake messages and ways to protect yourself.  https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?q=spam&advanced=false

Phishing bulletins can be found here: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/bd-p/Internet_Security

More advice on how to proceed can be found here: https://netreport.virginmedia.com/netreport/

The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
Windows Update isn't rocket science - if it were, it would work.
Unlike Monty Python, spam is never off.
Some video posts may contain swearing/inappropriate content for young children

π

Oaksie
Joining in

I almost fell for it... I was asked to fill out my bank details to finish off my updating of my direct debit set up with virgin at the bank.  I was asked for my bank ID details, which I don't know off the top of my head so came upstairs to do it on the desktop instead of my phone.  Thought I'd check whether the DD had gone from my account before finishing off.  Who would have guessed that Virgin Media DD had actually left my account.

Phew !!!! Damn you have to be so careful!!!!! 

ad4-c
Tuning in

I also just got one of these scam emails and as for the phone calls I just don,t pick up you get 2 or 3 a day different numbers but same thing