cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's at da.virginmedia.com ?

RainmakerRaw
Up to speed

I built and coded my own x86 router, using OpenBSD (which is currently on v7.0). It runs pf firewall, dhcpleased, dhcpd and unbound, alongside other niceties such as httpd, WireGuard, sshguard and so on. The DNS daemon (hardened unbound) forwards LAN queries upstream using DNS over TLS to my custom off-prem ad/tracker/malware blocking DNS server. That DNS server runs on an aarch64 VPS at Oracle and supplies me with clean, private DNSSEC-validated, QNAME minimised and case randomised DoH/DoT/DoQ/DNSCryptv2 DNS.

Lately, flicking through the DNS server stats, I've noticed hundreds of requests per day hitting the domain da.virginmedia.com and I wondered if anyone knows what it's for? I couldn't find anything in VM's (admittedly barebones and dumbed down) documentation, or through search engines. Shodan/Netcraft/the usual tools weren't very helpful either. Just curious as I've never seen it before and one of the VM devices on the LAN is pinging that domain a lot.

We have Gig1, TiVO v6 (x2), a VM mobile SIM and phone if that's any relevance.

3 REPLIES 3

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

My thought is it will be the V6 boxes. All EPG updates & firmware changes come in via the broadband connections. There is usually an EPG update every 2 hours.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

asim18
Fibre optic

I believe it's a data mining/AI initiative. da.virginmedia.com points to CNAME virgin01.sitestat.com. Sitestat domain is owned by adobe's data analysis suite.

Is the device making the requests a Set top box?

I'm guessing it's sending information every time you click, pause-unpause, fast forward, rewind, change volume, etc, etc.

I would personally just bin the device, all the channels I pay Virgin for are free-to-air on Astra 28.2. I would rather not have my connection used for sending pointless information.

It's sad too because what happens if not many people watch Top Gear on Dave, or Crystal Maze on Challenge? Will they just get rid of the channel in favour of the masses who are into other dross?

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I have a V6 and use two Pi-holes for my DNS then to Cloudflare HTTPS. Have checked V6 and it points to my DNS servers. No sign at all of that wa*** address.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2