cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Websafe not working and not on Virgin DNS

DJSXXX
Joining in

Hi,

My Websafe has stopped working. I've switched it on and off but no joy. As part of trying to solve that I tested my DNS - I understand that web safe requires routing through Virgin DNS servers.

The test shows that I'm currently on:

IP Hostname ISP Country

185.31.16.78NoneFastlyUnited States

I have a Hub 3 that I've never changed the settings on it. I have reset anyway but still getting the same results re the DNS. I thought that a Virgin Router automatically went through Virgin DNS. I am concerned that this leaves our network at risk and with 3 kids I'd like Websafe back on.

Can anyone assist?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Try the following troubleshooting suggestions:

• is device's DNS manually set?
  • does issue occur on other devices connected to Hub via (Ethernet) cable or Wi-Fi?
  • what AS Name does https://1.1.1.1/help report?

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Try the following troubleshooting suggestions:

• is device's DNS manually set?
  • does issue occur on other devices connected to Hub via (Ethernet) cable or Wi-Fi?
  • what AS Name does https://1.1.1.1/help report?

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

Hi,

Thanks - I've sorted it! All my other devices were using Virgin DNS. When I looked on this device ( a new MacBook ) I got the message:

"DNS requests are being routed by iCloud Private Relay for this network. Turn off Private Relay to manually configure DNS settings."

This is a new feature in Beta that masks my IP address. I must have clicked on it when I set the Mac up - the is the feature Private Relay  

With it on I couldn't even get a response form 1.1.1.1 so I used https://www.dnsleaktest.com and once I had turned Private Relay off I reconnected to virgin DNS. 

Private Relay obviously acts like a VPN but I had been having lots of problems connecting to servers such as Zwift (Cycling App) and the probably explains it. 

For now I'll go back to Virgin DNS and Websafe etc but I'll keep and eye on Private Relay - it may be a good product in the end.

Thanks you so much for your help - I was running out of ideas!

Dominic

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Good to read you resolved the issue and the detail provided should be of use to others who experience similar issues with iCloud Private Relay.

Hi @DJSXXX, thanks for your post to us here in the community.

Apologies that we weren't able to reply in time, butg great to hear that you've managed to get everything sorted, thanks to @用心棒's assistance!

Please let us know though if you need any further assistance going forward.

Many thanks

Tom_W