cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weak security v poor connection

michaelin4lunch
Joining in

Lots of posts here to fix Weak Security at the Hub but the fix causes poor connection issues. I now use my monthly 30gb mobile data allowance at how because I have to turn the wifi off when it runs slow/stops. The fix was to reset the Hub which now leaves me with the Weak Security issue. The security settings were the only changes made to the hub, so what is the real Weak Security/Poor Connection fix?

6 REPLIES 6

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The security is fine, it's just apple being apple

michaelin4lunch
Joining in

Lots of posts here to fix Weak Security at the Hub but the fix causes poor connection issues. I now use my monthly 30gb mobile data allowance at home because I have to turn the wifi off when it runs slow/stops. The fix was to reset the Hub which now leaves me with the Weak Security issue. The security settings were the only changes made to the hub, so what is the real Weak Security/Poor Connection fix?

Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @michaelin4lunch,

Thank you for your posts and welcome to our community forums. We're here to help.

Would you mind elaborating on the message that you're seeing on your device, what model of Apple device you're using, and the iOS that you're currently on? I'd also advise following these steps to see if they help at all.

Let us know how you get on.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

michaelin4lunch
Joining in

The iOS warning reads: ‘

Weak Security
WPA/WPA2 (TKIP) is not
considered secure.
If this is your Wi-Fi network, configure the
router to use WPA2 (AES) or WPA3
security type.
Learn more about recommended’

If I configure the Hub to WPA2 (AES) the WiFi connection regularly drops out on notebook & phones, if I reset the hub it’s fine again, SO I repeat my question: How do I achieve a secure network that isn’t continually dropping out?

Hi michaelin4lunch

Regarding the message about the security - It’s nothing to worry about, your WiFi is still secure. If you want to remove the message from your phone, you just need to change your router settings. Find out more here: virg.in/ios14. 

I've ran some checks on the system and you do need to have a tech visit the property. This is to do with the upstream channels, there's low SNR (signal to noise ratio) on one of them and also some other stuff going on that's causing this.

I'll send you a PM now to assist further.

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Hi michaelin4lunch

Thanks for joining me on PM. Just to update the thread, the engineer visit was booked in as discussed. This appointment will be viewable in your My Virgin Media online account - virg.in/myVM - within the next hour or so, You'll be able to cancel it, track it or amend the visit as per your needs.

There will be no charge for this visit unless:
• The technician diagnoses the faults as not being caused by our network/equipment 
• The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to your equipment
• The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to any system that we are not responsible for
The technician will confirm during their visit if any of these instances apply, and if so, a £25 charge will be applied to your account. 
Please ensure there is someone over the age of 18 present at the time of the visit. If you need to change or cancel your appointment you can do this online or via the MyVM app by 4pm the day before the appointment.
If you do miss an agreed appointment for any reason, a £25 missed appointment charge will be applied to your account on the day of the appointment

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill