Menu
warning6754
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Warning when closing email account

I thought people should be aware of a large security issue if you leave or have left Virgin media.
My SiL left Virgin media about 12 months ago, as most people had a Virgin media email address. She has just found out this email address is still active and that someone else has gained access to this account (probably a data breach from other org as her address is on pwned site). So you would think easy just change your password and sorted. No not with Virgin as you have left them you are no longer able to change your password, so this cretin has managed to access her Facebook and con some of her friends out of over £1000!!!
Virgin have said emails should be cancelled after 90 days but reality can remain open for years.
We are seeing password resets coming through for all sorts of accounts not setup by SiL and email address has been added to spamhaus, but Virgin don't see any urgency to close at say will take at least a week and might not even be done then. In the mean time phishing spam and account resets still on going and risk of more people losing money. 
If you have had a Virgin media email account I would check if still active and get it closed before you are victim. 
If anyone has advice of who to raise this to, as VM customer service don't really see urgency.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Warning when closing email account

staff here can close it when you pass security in about a week

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
warning6754
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, I've been told best case is about a week, but that's a week watching having free use of email. All sorts of accounts being created off the back of it and spam being sent. 

Can't believe that it can take a week to delete an email address. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi warning6754,

Thanks for posting. I do wish to help you get this deleted.

I'll pop you a quick PM so I can get further details

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
warning6754
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

We have now been in contact with the police (spent most of the afternoon with them) they do not believe it will take at least 5 days to close email account and are investigating. We have a crime reference number and they will be in contact with virgin about your failure to secure emails. 

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@warning6754 wrote:

We have now been in contact with the police (spent most of the afternoon with them) they do not believe it will take at least 5 days to close email account and are investigating. We have a crime reference number and they will be in contact with virgin about your failure to secure emails. 

It is worth stating again that this is primarily a community based forum.  That said John_GS from the VM staff team has picked up on this thread as an urgent issue.

It would be helpful for the community if you could keep us appraised of the police investigation that you have initiated.  If that is allowed under the PACE rules and whatever else regulations apply in such cases.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
warning6754
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

It's seems VM are unable to do anything to resolve this issue quickly and will have to watch and wait at least another week.

This is a warning to anybody who has or had in the past a VM email  this could happen to anybody.

0 Kudos