cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WED-250418-1214BST-STRANGE-ACTIVITY-ASSOCIATED-WITH-SEEMINGLY-UNKNOWN-NUMBER-07860064711

AmardeepSingh
Tuning in

1) The issue surrounds whether 07860064711 (or +447860064711) is a legitimate number, or is carrying out some type of criminal activity using knowledge of Virgin Media phone traffic (where such knowledge is likely either intercepted mobile phone traffic, or a Computer Security leak in Virgin Media's network, or some other possibility).  
2) I have searched both forms of the number on Google.  The first form of the number comes up on :
https://who-called.co.uk/Number/07860064711
in which some people state that they make phonecalls to Virgin Media, and then shortly thereafter (the next day) receive a text message stating something along the lines of:
"Hi! It's Virgin Media.  Great news!  We can now install your services on 0.  Text YES to reschedule or NO to keep your current date"
3) Some people on https://who-called.co.uk/Number/07860064711  state that they have checked with Virgin Media and determine that this is NOT a Virgin Media phone number.  
4) Clearly information is leaking from somewhere (with someone knowing that people are phoning Virgin Media's phone numbers and then using this information to try and trick them into sending a text or some other communication, for purposes that are unknown).  Clearly, whoever sent the text knows that a particular number made a phonecall to Virgin Media.  
5) There are numerous possibilities that could explain this - but (i) Virgin Media could have a Computer Security leak, (ii) Someone is somehow monitoring mobile phonecall traffic, etc....

I am just bringing this to your attention and think that Virgin Media should be aware of the actions of this particular mobile phone number - and, if necessary, that reports to the police should be made. 

3 REPLIES 3

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi AmardeepSingh, 

Thanks for your post 🙂 

We do take all security issues seriously. 

We do usually sent texts regarding installation and engineer visits however these are system generated from this number. The number itself would not be able to accept incoming calls. 

Hope that clears things up. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

SAT-280418-1234BST-STRANGE-ACTIVITY-ASSOCIATED-WITH-SEEMINGLY-UNKNOWN-NUMBER-07860064711
Ok.  To **confirm** (and preclude the possibility of inadvertent mistakes - for absolute certainty):
07860064711 *IS* a Virgin Media number (given your implicit mention of "these are system generated from this number") and therefore the information on
https://who-called.co.uk/Number/07860064711
By someone indicating that this is NOT a Virgin Media Number is INCORRECT (possibly due to the fact that organisationally, when they phoned Virgin Media Customer Services, there was no centrally co-ordinated list of Virgin Media phone numbers for the operator to consult to either confirm or deny that 07860064711 is a Virgin Media Number - and therefore the operator came to the conclusion that 07860064711 was NOT a Virgin Media Number and gave wrong advice.  Though this hypothesis is a conjecture.  ).  

I have recently created a separate post (WED-250418-1153BST-COLLATED-VIRGIN-MEDIA-CONTACT-NUMBERS-QUERY) indicating that a list of Virgin Media phone numbers should be kept upon the www.virginmedia.com site so that people can recognise whether a number is a legitimate Virgin Media number or not to avoid confusion.  This may not be possible, though it is desirable.  That separate post was taken down, which I think was undesirable. 

Kaz_A
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi AmardeepSingh

I appreciate you getting back in touch with us on this.

The automated response mobile numbers used when texting would not be included on an official site as we have hundreds of support numbers for varying departments we could also look to include too. We ask that customers contact us on our main customer number of 0345 454 1111 where the automated routing system is designed to support the majority of queries, to check on these numbers if they are unsure of their validity as you have done. Kath has answered this for you and I appreciate that when you called the agent was unaware of this but this is something we can feedback for training purposes.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards.

Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"