cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VirginMedia distributing viruses!

Lil-Squabbit
Up to speed

As the title says.

VirginMedia are now distributing malicious malware/ viruses via their Telly Tablets. The viruses in question are:

• COM.WAGD.SMARTER
  • COM.WAGD.XIAOAN
  • COM.WAGD.GEM

Apparently, this is due to an infection on one of their update servers which hard codes the malware into the system software. This means that even if you do a hard reset on the device, the malicious products will be reinstalled too.

What are VirginMedia doing about this as I am sure we cant be the only people that are having this issue.

This is worrying that a major broadband supplier is letting these malware/viruses run rampant through their products. Bad form VirginMedia, bad form!

What are you going to do about this? 

...........................................................................................................
Lil-Squabbit is soooooo NOT amused!!!!
193 REPLIES 193

Loobyyork18
On our wavelength

There are a lot of articles about the Gigaset issue, maybe we could see if those sites and publications could highlight that the Virgin have the same issue with "their" telly tablets to get some leverage. Does anyone have any contacts?

Sadly I don't, but it's a great idea if someone does. 

Had a convo yesterday with one of the team who make/made the tablets, he already knew what I was calling about before I even told him, he couldn't help much in an official capacity since they are the hardware end not the software end, but at least was a relief to speak to a human being who actually fully understood what I was talking about.(after being told I downloaded an app and it's my fault, and 'you're trying to install a system update, right?' By the call center team...) 

He knew it wasn't our fault and it's down to the software on the tablet being so old and vulnerable to attacks. 

But again, ultimately had to refer me back to the main call center to speak to the software people. I haven't had the strength to call again yet as it's just going around in circles, but if you get someone who knows what they're talking about it's a weight off to know we aren't all going mad!

Kev_B
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi,

Thanks for your patience whilst we investigate this issue. We’re currently testing as we work towards a fix and would like to replicate some of our tests on an impacted tablet. If you’re able to help with some testing, and you’re willing to factory reset the tablet, please send me a PM.

Kev

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

I don't think the link is working for me. How do I send a pm to Kev?

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi Tigratone,

place your cursor over Kev's name (in red) and when the pop up screen opens click on Send Message.

You can also  go to the of the screen and follow the instructions below

1. Click the envelope icon to go to your Private Messages Inbox.
  2. Click Compose New Message.
  3. Enter the recipient's name in the Send to area.
  4. Enter the subject for the message in the Message Subject area.
  5. Type the reply in the Message Body editor.
  6. Click Send Message.
Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Thanks newapollo.

All sorted!

jennyfromthebox
Joining in

Any news on the malware situation with the VM Telly Tablet 

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Kev_B wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for your patience whilst we investigate this issue. We’re currently testing as we work towards a fix and would like to replicate some of our tests on an impacted tablet. If you’re able to help with some testing, and you’re willing to factory reset the tablet, please send me a PM.

FWIW selecting the above link takes you to your Private Message area only. Select New to compose the message to Kev_B.

user2000
On our wavelength

So, a month on and our Telly Tablet is still out of commission.

I find it absolutely ASTONISHING that Virgin were not aware of this problem the day after it was made public considering it affects one of their products.

How hard is it to liaise with Gigaset and find out how to push a secure, untainted firmware?  It must come from the same update server provider after all!

Mind boggling...

Noticed that my telly tablet had become sluggish over the last month. As you do, thought nothing of it.
Then it just wouldn't load after a restart. Just stuck on the red Virgin Media splash screen.

As I only had a bare system anyway (no other apps bar Virgin's tv app), I decided to factory reset.

Holding the normal volume down and power gives me Chinese options. Wow. My Mandarin is not what it used to be.
Doing the Volume Up and Power gives me the english options. Wiped Cache and then factory reset.

Lo and behold, it wouldn't let me login with my Google account on the tablet. Just kept looping saying it was reset.

This shouldn't happen on a factory reset. It should be just blank

Upon investigation, there is now another, unidentified, email in the accounts section of the tablet. Similar to mine. But definitely not mine.

Reading heavily into this, the chipset in the Telly Tablet, in conjunction with the apparently poor android variant has now left my Google account WIDE OPEN.
As I had logged into my Google account, no doubt that this rogue email account takeover has had access to my Google account for the last MONTH.

If Virgin chooses NOT to do updates then they are not at fault. If they do updates, and you are compromised, then they ARE at fault. 

I have had the tablet for a while and it has been excellent. But to fail to adhere to efforts to keep my data safe, then they are in breach of Data Protection.
Owning my own company with IT and company policy for years, I, and they, know that Data Protection is MASSIVE. 

So unless they want a class action lawsuit, and monumental press coverage on this matter, I suggest that something has to be done incredibly quickly
My solicitor has already been informed