cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VirginMedia distributing viruses!

Lil-Squabbit
Up to speed

As the title says.

VirginMedia are now distributing malicious malware/ viruses via their Telly Tablets. The viruses in question are:

• COM.WAGD.SMARTER
  • COM.WAGD.XIAOAN
  • COM.WAGD.GEM

Apparently, this is due to an infection on one of their update servers which hard codes the malware into the system software. This means that even if you do a hard reset on the device, the malicious products will be reinstalled too.

What are VirginMedia doing about this as I am sure we cant be the only people that are having this issue.

This is worrying that a major broadband supplier is letting these malware/viruses run rampant through their products. Bad form VirginMedia, bad form!

What are you going to do about this? 

...........................................................................................................
Lil-Squabbit is soooooo NOT amused!!!!
193 REPLIES 193

Kev_B
Community Manager (Retired)

@KT6 

Hi Mr Singh - thanks for the offer, I'll liaise with the teams and if that's something they've not already got visibility of and would like to see then I'll drop you a PM so we can get that data.

Kev

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

hmfc4eva
On our wavelength

FAO Kev

Maybe it would be good for the technical team to contact Gigaset,

They have been effected by the same issue and seem to be a lot further on to resolving/understanding the issue, ,

Thanks

Exactly the same info for me as shown above.  I have been following this thread after resetting my tablet 3 times to try and fix this problem - then found this thread.

Which has been very useful if for no other purpose than to understand I am not the only person very unhappy about this problem.

The issue came back after every factory reset with no other apps installed, it just comes automatically as part of the system updates.  As described by all the previous posters in this forum.

Copied from post above, it's all the same for me:

tablet on automatic updates, both for the system update and updates from Google play.

I had not downloaded any updates manually nor received any pop ups asking me to update anything. So if there was a update of any kind it was done automatically. 

Build number

LF141.N0.V30.24.RC-V03

It's the same information for me, copied and pasted as well

tablet on automatic updates, both for the system update and updates from Google play.

I had not downloaded any updates manually nor received any pop ups asking me to update anything. So if there was a update of any kind it was done automatically. 

Build number

LF141.N0.V30.24.RC-V03

stokey364
Just browsing

Well now ive found this page i'm very glad to see its not just me!! 

2 tabs both been full reset numerous times, you cant move them! 

Popping up middle of games, whilst watching virgin go. Sky go. Anything to be fair, opening page after page dam annoying, and though im probably still paying for this tab ( its not a laptop, it doesn't run windows, its android) its bloody useless!!! 

As anyone actually had any joy removing them, or maybe any acknowledgement from virgin that they have a problem.

Id be well happy to resolve this **bleep**e. Ty 

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi stokey364,

You should have a read of the following  post on this thread, and pass the info  back to VM as requested 

VM Staff Response 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

So how many people need to post the same info VM asked for, before the simple fact is understood here?

This is not an end user issue - is it?

I don't understand what the difference is between 1 and 100 people posting answers to the VM questions is - the fact that we have done factory resets and the issue is not end user created should be enough?

Josie62
Tuning in

Just to confirm my tablet has the same build number as specified previously by other users, and I haven't done any manual updates. 

Kev_B

Thanks for the info provided by everybody. I've passed this over to our security team and asked for a further update on the situation asap. We apologise for the inconvenience caused by this issue, we'll provide a further update as soon as we have one.

Kev

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

user2000
On our wavelength