cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VirginMedia distributing viruses!

Lil-Squabbit
Up to speed

As the title says.

VirginMedia are now distributing malicious malware/ viruses via their Telly Tablets. The viruses in question are:

• COM.WAGD.SMARTER
  • COM.WAGD.XIAOAN
  • COM.WAGD.GEM

Apparently, this is due to an infection on one of their update servers which hard codes the malware into the system software. This means that even if you do a hard reset on the device, the malicious products will be reinstalled too.

What are VirginMedia doing about this as I am sure we cant be the only people that are having this issue.

This is worrying that a major broadband supplier is letting these malware/viruses run rampant through their products. Bad form VirginMedia, bad form!

What are you going to do about this? 

...........................................................................................................
Lil-Squabbit is soooooo NOT amused!!!!
193 REPLIES 193

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

See messages 41 and 42 in this thread.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

The only updates we have had is virgin saying we will update you when we have a update!!!

Come on virgin let's hear something even if it is an acknowledgement that there is a problem,!

Lil-Squabbit
Up to speed

Hello. I received this response from virginsupport@exertis.co.uk, which is the company that supplies the tablets to virgin media.

Good afternoon,

Thanks for your e-mail regarding the Malware issue affecting your Virgin Telly Tablet.

We are now aware of this as being a fairly widespread issue and unfortunately, we have not been able come up with another solution as yet to how this may be resolved.

We are liaising with Virgin Media in regard to the problem and are currently documenting any reported incidents so we can hopefully better understand the problem.

Hope this sheds a little light on the situation but unfortunately it's not a solution 😭

Naomi 💋

...........................................................................................................

@Graham_A wrote:

See messages 41 and 42 in this thread.

Thanks for the pointer.

I missed post 41 and it's duplication in post 42 altogether. I have to admit that I was looking for something more.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.

Anonymous
Not applicable
might push this to one of the security forums I'm part of. Its an interesting story 🙂
We are always told to keep devices up to date. But its not the first time that a u[date server has been compermised

clarkey39
Dialled in

Christ I moaned for ages about my telly tubby not being updated to android 7......wish it was still on 6.1 now 😆

Thankyou kt6. Very useful information,  I was thinking about flashing the software but was in two minds, your post has confirmed to me not to do it.

For the moment I think I will just wait, and hope that the infected servers get fixed or for anything else that might solve the problem.

Kev_B
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi,

We're still conducting our investigation, and we've been asked to capture some information to help our security teams in the work they're doing. If you've been affected, would you please mind posting with answers to the following information?

1. How did you update the Telly Tablet, was it via Settings System Updates, or was it prompted by a pop-up?
  2. Can you confirm if the update you downloaded was a system update or an update within a specific app?
  3. Can you confirm the build version of your device please?

Our teams are monitoring the forum thread, so as soon as we get this information it will be factored into the investigate.

I completely understand the concern being expressed, please rest assured we're doing all we can to address this update. The information provided will help us get to a resolution.

P.S. This is being marked as a Helpful Answer to ensure everybody sees the information we're asking for, we aren't considering this issue resolved.

Kev

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

I have had my tablet on automatic updates, both for the system update and updates from Google play.

I had not downloaded any updates manually nor received any pop ups asking me to update anything. So if there was a update of any kind it was done automatically. 

Build number

LF141.N0.V30.24.RC-V03

@Tigratone wrote:

I have had my tablet on automatic updates, both for the system update and updates from Google play.

I had not downloaded any updates manually nor received any pop ups asking me to update anything. So if there was a update of any kind it was done automatically. 

Build number

LF141.N0.V30.24.RC-V03

Same... Word for word we've just stopped using it now 😭