cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VirginMedia distributing viruses!

Lil-Squabbit
Up to speed

As the title says.

VirginMedia are now distributing malicious malware/ viruses via their Telly Tablets. The viruses in question are:

• COM.WAGD.SMARTER
  • COM.WAGD.XIAOAN
  • COM.WAGD.GEM

Apparently, this is due to an infection on one of their update servers which hard codes the malware into the system software. This means that even if you do a hard reset on the device, the malicious products will be reinstalled too.

What are VirginMedia doing about this as I am sure we cant be the only people that are having this issue.

This is worrying that a major broadband supplier is letting these malware/viruses run rampant through their products. Bad form VirginMedia, bad form!

What are you going to do about this? 

...........................................................................................................
Lil-Squabbit is soooooo NOT amused!!!!
193 REPLIES 193

It’s most likely a generic device to which Virginmedia have added their own logo.

My Broadband Ping - Virginmedia

Well as the great Sherlock Holmes once said

“ When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?”

Get it sorted VirginMedia! 

...........................................................................................................

Agreed. Its a Vigin Media branded generic device. A bit like the beans in a Heinz tin, the liability remains with Heinz.

Lil-Squabbit
Up to speed

Proof that VirginMedia Update servers have been hijacked by unknown malware/virus distributors.

• Image 1: Is the viruses that are reinstalled after each time they are removed. This includes a complete hard reset to factory settings.

IMG_20210406_195406.png

• Image 2: When rebooting to clear the device cache by holding off and volume up. It clearly shows a corrupted 'Chinese' version of the core software.

IMG_20210406_195449.png

What are you going to do about this obvious security breach VM? 

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Neither of those images show any proof that Virgin Media are knowingly distributing viruses.

The Telly tablets are supplied and supported by a third party who can be contacted via this email address virginsupport@exertis.co.uk according to previous VM Forum Team posts.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I didnt say that they were 'knowingly' doing anything. If you read my statement I said that they have been hijacked  by an unknown!

As for who supplied/ supports the Telly Tablets, regardless of them being a third party, the fact of thr mattet remains that it is VirginMedia who provided the Tablets and it is their branding on the box and its contents.

If someone else had provided me with the product then I would have asked them to look into it but on this occasion, it is VM that needs to be addressed not the supplier. They should have verified their product before distributing it to their customers. I am not the only one here that is having the issue but thank you for supplying the information.

Naomi

I have the same issue with my telly tablet. It was not sold in this state because I've had the tablet a few years, issue started earlier this year. Virginmedia sold me the tablet and should take responsibility. It's obviously impacting lots of the tablets. I just want clear instructions on how to reinstall the os as factory reset does not resolve it.

Since I first posted about this problem a couple of days ago, it seems as though I am not the only one with a telly tablet with unremovable malware. There are 2 tablets in my household which are both   infected.  Other people on this thread have mentioned  their telly tablets are infected as well, and looking at other threads It has also been mentioned. 

These infections all seemed to have happened quite recently, so something must be happening with these tablets. Many have suggested that this problem has come from virgin media's servers and that it unknowingly downloaded into the telly tablets operating system malicious malware.

I don't want to point the finger at virgin  just yet, but would like to ask if there could be another explanation why so many virgin branded telly tablets have been exposed to this virus?

I think it is also significant that none of my other devices, phone, samsung tablet, laptop, have been impacted and I have the virginmedia tv go installed on those. It does seem connected with the telly tablet OS.

Several thoughts come to mind.  
1. There’s been an update to the OS recently which was infected. 
2. The malware has always been there but AV software is just recognising it. 
3. It’s a false positive. 

My Broadband Ping - Virginmedia