cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VirginMedia distributing viruses!

Lil-Squabbit
Up to speed

As the title says.

VirginMedia are now distributing malicious malware/ viruses via their Telly Tablets. The viruses in question are:

• COM.WAGD.SMARTER
  • COM.WAGD.XIAOAN
  • COM.WAGD.GEM

Apparently, this is due to an infection on one of their update servers which hard codes the malware into the system software. This means that even if you do a hard reset on the device, the malicious products will be reinstalled too.

What are VirginMedia doing about this as I am sure we cant be the only people that are having this issue.

This is worrying that a major broadband supplier is letting these malware/viruses run rampant through their products. Bad form VirginMedia, bad form!

What are you going to do about this? 

...........................................................................................................
Lil-Squabbit is soooooo NOT amused!!!!
193 REPLIES 193

Thanks for letting us know @Tigartone.

In that case, please try our Gadget rescue service which can best help in regards to this. https://www.virginmedia.com/help/gadget-rescue

Please let us know how you get on.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Thanks @Tigartone

I have deleted the apps. The concern is the system restore has been compromised and they return when the device is factory reset.

Please check out my latest post 😢

...........................................................................................................

Tigratone
Dialled in

Is this 100% true or is it just a theory? If it is true then virgin have a lot of questions to answer and they need to make things right.

If this is true, then it  is very disturbing, and a lot of people including myself will want answers!

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Issue has been flagged to the forum team however be aware it can take them a few hours / days to respond; hopefully the former in this case.

FYI: Issue has been discussed on Malwarebytes' forum with a suggested workaround, see Nasty malware that reinstalls after factory reset but not Xhelper, help pls; note reference to HiddenAds on post.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi Tigratone,

You can find our Telly Tab troubleshooting steps here.

If you find that none of the steps do help from there, I would advise getting in touch with our Telly Tab team directly. You can either email them at virginsupport@exertis.co.uk or call them on 01282 858460.

I'm sorry that we couldn't be of more help from here.

Beth

Beth

It’s unfortunately that often these generic/non branded tablets contain malware/spyware within the OS & are sold this way.

My Broadband Ping - Virginmedia

@Anankha
I get what you mean but ithas a Virgin Media logo stamped on it so it is Virgin Branded.

Thanks

Already saw that forum and it didn't help. This is to do with thw firmware update so simply uninstalling the malware/viruses just delays thekr reinstall shortly after. This is not a case of infected downloads moreover an infected update!