cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VirginMedia distributing viruses!

Lil-Squabbit
Up to speed

As the title says.

VirginMedia are now distributing malicious malware/ viruses via their Telly Tablets. The viruses in question are:

• COM.WAGD.SMARTER
  • COM.WAGD.XIAOAN
  • COM.WAGD.GEM

Apparently, this is due to an infection on one of their update servers which hard codes the malware into the system software. This means that even if you do a hard reset on the device, the malicious products will be reinstalled too.

What are VirginMedia doing about this as I am sure we cant be the only people that are having this issue.

This is worrying that a major broadband supplier is letting these malware/viruses run rampant through their products. Bad form VirginMedia, bad form!

What are you going to do about this? 

...........................................................................................................
Lil-Squabbit is soooooo NOT amused!!!!
193 REPLIES 193

Hi @Tigratone.

Welcome back to our community forums.

Sorry to hear you experienced this with your laptop. Which antivirus have you tried so far? Just to confirm, have you already performed a factory reset on your device as this would wipe your device?

Please let us know how you get on.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi, I have tried many anti virus programs,  among them Norton 360 (paid version), avg (free version), advast (free), and many more. They all give the same result, that there is a virus in the operating system and it can't be removed.

I have run a factory reset,  cleared the cache,  run the tablet in safe mode and it has made no difference. 

Thank you for letting us know @Tigartone

Have you also tried reinstalling the OS?

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

No I have not tried to re install the os. I wouldn't have a clue how to it! 

But it looks like the only solution 

I have had this issue on my telly tablet for a few days now. Factory reset does not resolve. The malware are reinstalled as System apps called Gem, Smart, Xiaon, and another beginning with T that i cannot recall. Uninstalling these is fruitless as they shortly come back.MalwareBytes found no issues when scanned.  I have left my tablet discoonected which pretty much renders it useless. Hopefully somebody can find a fix.

Just to clarify is it a windows OS or Mac OS the device is running on?

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

Yes exactly the same as me. Looks like there might be a issue with this malware and the telly tablet

None. This is a android tablet,  supplied by virgin and made by maysun.

Its an Android VM telly tablet.

Bluenose399

It looks like you have the same problem as me.

Can I advise that you delete all your programs on the tablet, as about the same time I got the virus my Facebook account was hacked and had problems with other apps. 

As a precaution I changed all my passwords on priority apps.