cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin wifi hotspot shared through my hub

ammar1nisar7
Tuning in

I phoned like more then 100 times and had a chat with these lots but no luck they put on hold and cut the call on whatsapp they just we will get back in two minutes and never come back 

basically virgin media is sharing their so called hotspot through my hub like i had virgin connect app and configurations already but there was no hotspot near my house after installing my wifi i get full signal for hotspot and when i turn my router off that hotspot disappears aswell so my question is how do i stop or turn off that virgin media wifi hotspot coz I don’t know who’s connected through my router and what details he can access through it and its effecting speed aswell I really need a solution 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The hotspot is a totally separate 10Mb connection. People using it will not affect your speed.

Only the hotspot is unsecured. Even then a VM customer requires their own account details to connect. They will never know your WiFi password, or have any access to your own internet traffic. You also CANNOT see who is connected to it. You can only see the devices connected to your own encrypted network.

As far as speeds are concerned, what is the WIRED speed (via Ethernet) from the hub. WiFi is dependent on many factors, a lot of which are outside VMs control.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The hotspot from your home Hub is entirely separate to your in house network. VM customers connecting to it have no access to your own use of the network, nor will it affect your access speed.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs

Thanks for your reply but I don’t see any advice in it 

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Ammar1nisar7, 

Thank you for your post, and I am sorry for any confusion with our WiFi hotspots.

Nothing personal is shared, so all your info is safe. You can find out how it works on this link here.

You can opt-out of this on your My Virgin Media account

Zoie

I still don’t want it to be shared at all ad it’s effecting my speed aswell and hackers can still take personal information through hacking it I don’t trust it 

why would you share it through my wifi anyways?

Thanks for coming back to us ammar1nisar7,

We certainly understand your concerns, if you wish to opt out of this, you can do this by signing in to your Virgin Media online account as my colleague already advised.

Kind regards Jodi. 

How to i opt out as i have tried everything I couldn’t find any help i spoke to few of your useless agents over call they couldn’t even understand what hotspot is after an hour of explanation they said we’re holding for 2 mins and after 20mins they cut the call i have tried soo many times and on whatsapp they send same reply we will resolve your issue wait 2 mins and they end the chat it’s very funny so first thing tomorrow i will do is to cancel this **bleep** contract as i am not happy i’m not getting speed at all that i am paying for and some rooms it’s like 8-9mbps while I’m paying for 350mbps

Opted out still 18 devices connected to my router while i’m not aware of them can you please cancel my contract i’m just not happy with your service i’m not getting good speed either there’s no support at all 

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The hotspot is a totally separate 10Mb connection. People using it will not affect your speed.

Only the hotspot is unsecured. Even then a VM customer requires their own account details to connect. They will never know your WiFi password, or have any access to your own internet traffic. You also CANNOT see who is connected to it. You can only see the devices connected to your own encrypted network.

As far as speeds are concerned, what is the WIRED speed (via Ethernet) from the hub. WiFi is dependent on many factors, a lot of which are outside VMs control.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Thanks for your reply 

hotspot is sorted now finally but i used to get 350mbps for the 1st few days via wifi and now it’s like 120mbps near the hub and if i go in other rooms it’s like 9-10mbps I haven’t got any device on ethernet i have devices on wifi 

how come speed used to good over wifi in the start and now it has gone dowm doesn’t matter sense as hub is still at the same place nothing has chnaged though