Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 11 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Virgin responsibility for aiding fraudsters

Hi exasperated1,

Thanks for your post.

Very sorry to hear you are receiving these calls.

Unfortunately there are only a few options we can advise of to stop these calls.

As petersladdie suggested, you can register for the Telephone Preference Service here this will reduce the number of calls you receive. You can also report numbers that call you directly to them for investigation. 

We do have anonymous caller reject available for a small monthly amount and this will stop calls from a withheld number. Unfortunately this wouldn't help if the callers do not withhold their number. 

You do also have the option to change your number, I appreciate this could be inconvenient to do, but this is always an option available for you.

To get anonymous caller reject or to change your number, you would need to call our customer services team on 150 / 0345 454 1111 option 1, option 1 then option 4, they will be more than happy to help. Alternatively, you can text our customer services team on 07533051809, they are available Monday - Friday 8am - 7pm.

Apologies for any frustration this causes.

Thanks

Lindsey_C

Superuser
Superuser
Message 12 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I'd just like to point out that registering with the TPS won't necessarily prevent scam calls.  It's designed to stop marketing companies making cold calls i.e. calls to individuals that they have had NO PRIOR association with.  However scammers are unlikely to bother caring about such niceties.

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

coenoby
Well-informed
Message 13 of 17
Flag for a moderator

@petersladdie wrote:
I have stopped getting these types of calls since I registered with the Telephone Preference Service

That's good.Smiley Indifferent

However, I think it is probably coincidence. TPS relies completely on telephone marketeers playing by the rules and not calling numbers that are registered on TPS.

Genuine, responsible organisations will comply simply because they have a reputation to protect.

However, the fraudsters, scam artists and criminals who make the type of calls that  exasperated1  is talking about in this thread could not care less if you are signed up to TPS or not. Most of them are based overseas and they either do not give their name or use a generic false name that cannot be traced back to them. As a result TPS simply cannot enforce the rules in these cases and the bad guys can continue to operate with no real restrictions.

In fact there is a common scam where the fraudsters claim to be from TPS or a similar sounding organisation and ask you to pay a fee to sign up to their services!

Going ex directory certainly helps but even then, some scammers use automated dialing which simply works through a block of telephone numbers (which may or may not be live) until someone answers.

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
exasperated1
Tuning in
Message 14 of 17
Flag for a moderator

You are right about TPS being useless for stopping scammers. I have tried it and it only stops you getting sales calls from law abiding companies who have signed with them. They are no trouble and anyway will desist if asked.

Anonymous caller reject facility would I think stop a lot of scam calls. Most of the scammers who call me do not leave a number. I will give it a try.

Changing my telephone number and giving the new one only to people and organisations I can trust would solve the problem for a finite time but it would be a drag. It could be however that this is going to be the future strategy that most people will need to employ, changing telephone numbers at regular intervals. A bit like the necessity to change passwords and (for different reasons) energy suppliers and insurers.

Thanks for the many helpful posts I have received.

Tudor
Superstar
Message 15 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Changing your number is useless, scammers just load a range of numbers into a carousel that calls each one in turn and all the calls I get have a number shown on the caller Id, none are from “number withheld” numbers. These caller Id numbers are of course spoofed and if you try to dial them you will find they are nonexistent. It’s just something you have to live with. 

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal
0 Kudos
coenoby
Well-informed
Message 16 of 17
Flag for a moderator

@exasperated1 wrote:

Anonymous caller reject facility would I think stop a lot of scam calls. Most of the scammers who call me do not leave a number. I will give it a try.

Sorry to sound so negative Smiley Embarassed.....but...

I used Anonymous caller reject for a while a few years ago and I found that it actually caused more problems than it solved.

Several relatives and friends who always withheld their number became quite annoyed and took it as a personal insult that I had 'blocked their calls' .

Also, at that time the NHS had a policy of always withholding their number and not leaving a message when they called about appointments, test results etc. That caused me a lot of problems because I was caring for my father at the time. I do not know whether the NHS still has that policy but it is something to think about.

These days I don't actually get many number withheld calls and in my experience most of the scammers use spoofed numbers anyway.

The best solution I have seen is the one my sister uses. She has the answer phone permanently on and when the phone rings she waits to see who it is before answering. Faced with an answer phone the scammers always ring off without leaving a message which is great. Smiley Happy

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
0 Kudos
gplh
Up to speed
Message 17 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Many years ago in the day of dial in internet there were lots of call management programs you could install to manage your call if you routed them through your PC and a suitable Modem /Phone card with cable I got fed up with the junk  calls and auto faxes dialing in and some years ago got a "true call box" I suspect either they or someone still markets this sort of device it simply sits on the inbound line and and can be programmed to allow some numbers direct access eg family ask others to enter a number to proceed which stops auto diallers and faxes!then asks them to state who is calling before it rings the phone with the callers message (you can instantly add them to a banned list or answer call) or blocks barred numbers It also acts as an answer machine I dont recall it being that expensive and its really a fit and forget way of doing things you have to have facility for caller ID which virgin has.