Menu
exasperated1
Tuning in
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Virgin responsibility for aiding fraudsters

I, along with almost all Virgin phone customers receive daily calls from fraudsters posing usually as BT employees. Virgin have done nothing to stop the calls. They don't do anything for free and must be being paid to put the calls through. In my opinion they are accessories to crime. What are the chances of starting a legal 'class action' against them, as is common in USA to force them to do something?

0 Kudos
DreamOfCheese
Rising star
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Virgin responsibility for aiding fraudsters

There isn't really anything Virgin can currently do to stop the spam calls, they use spoofed caller IDs so providing a method of blocking them does nothing, they just call again another time on another spoofed number.

As far as I'm aware the current phone networks lack any method of verifying if a call from a network is from a number that network is actually authoritative over, which makes it an impossible task to determine if a number is spoofed or not.
Highlighted
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@exasperated1 wrote:

I, along with almost all Virgin phone customers receive daily calls from fraudsters posing usually as BT employees. Virgin have done nothing to stop the calls. They don't do anything for free and must be being paid to put the calls through. In my opinion they are accessories to crime. What are the chances of starting a legal 'class action' against them, as is common in USA to force them to do something?

As we lack the legislation to make a class action lawsuit a thing, pretty unlikely.

Our equivalent is a "super complaint" through trading standards or CAB

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/about-us/policy/policy-research-topics/consumer-policy-research/co...

Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

@exasperated1 wrote:

Chances are zero in my opinion.  I suggest you read up on the public carrier telecommunications regulations to see what they say about whether a carrier can block calls unilaterally or not.  Telecoms equivalent of network neutrality.

coenoby
Well-informed
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

@exasperated1 wrote:

In my opinion they are accessories to crime. What are the chances of starting a legal 'class action' against them, as is common in USA to force them to do something?

You are joking right?

Personally I do not want Virgin Media, BT or anyone else censoring which phone calls I can or cannot receive. If anyone tries to achieve through the legal process then I would do whatever I could to prevent it from happening.

Coenoby 

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
jamesofmerton
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

'What are the chances of starting a legal 'class action' against them, as is common in USA to force them to do something?'

absolutely zero. 

i deal with scammers most days. they are conniving, ruthless, cunning, but most of all far cleverer than any it/telecommunications expert that virgin, sky or bt have. they are relentless and at the top end the worst people you could ever meet. 

this vision of making virgin responsible would be like taking your neighbour to court because the bbc cancel eastenders. 

i'm not unsympathetic, i've seen some intelligent people fall for scams. they aren't all vulnerable 90 year olds. but at the minute it is like pulling a needle out of a haystack whilst someone else is putting a dozen more in. hopefully things will change.....

Tudor
Superstar
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

VM just supply you with a pipe, be it telephony or broadband. They do not and should not have any control of what goes into or comes out of the pipe. 

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The only thing I'd point out is that out of the big 4 service providers, Virgin Media are the only one's who do not appear to have a call screening/blocking service available.

BT have Call Guardian (call screening) and 1572 (blocking of junk calls)
Sky have Sky Talk Shield
TalkTalk have TalkTalk call safe.

(Slightly off topic but I's a shame TT didn't manage to get Talk Shield for their name.  TalkTalk Talk Shield has a ring to it Smiley Wink lol).

Personally I hate the call screening service as I work for a company that delivers a legitimate service to NHS patients.  Call screening services stop us from doing our job effectively, but they are perhaps a necessary evil in this age of scammers).

Note: The views immediately above are my own views, they do not represent the views of my current employer.

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The problem I'd see for Virgin Media is there are several different phone technologies in the older and more widely installed phone network

That's why in the Phone Guide - www.virginmedia.com/phoneguide - there are several different call feature zones.

So although there is Anonymous Caller Rejection, this is an old enough feature to be supported across those different areas.

It's possible that newer services like call screening or known number spam protection can't be added consistently to be useful.

However I'd also think that as Virgin Media moves towards their new phone platform, that new features will be much easier to add. Personally no idea of any timescale for that though.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
petersladdie
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I have stopped getting these types of calls since I registered with the Telephone Preference Service
visit their website at tpsonline.org.uk
its free and does not take long to set up.
0 Kudos