Menu
myths384
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Virgin email

Received an email from Virgin to say they were contacted about a copyright infringement from my IP address it says that on the 19/05/2019 at 15.21 a film was shared through a peer to peer software, the problem I have with this is no one in my home did this or has peer to peer software on any of our phones, iPads etc. That afternoon we had visitors and weren’t using any technology. Can someone tell me what I need to do about this and how I stop this happening again. Thanks
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Demogorgon
Up to speed
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin email

@myths384, basically by exercising better control over your network. You can do this by a number of means:

1. Make sure your home network's password isn't predictable and if too many people know what the default password is [the one on the side of the hub] then I suggest you change it.
  2. Log into your hub's admin settings through the IP gateway [192.168......] and ensure only authorised devices [devices that you recognise] are connected to it. If there are devices that's have names you don't know or recognise, then boot them off.
  3. If you have the Hub 3. Download The Virgin Media connect app it can do some of the admin stuff I mentioned in the steps above, plus it can set up Guest Accounts for you so that you don't have to share your home network access with others. It can also give you the authority to 'pause' devices
  4. Restrict network access from file sharing sites or Peer 2 Peer apps, there are lots of 3rd party services and a few from Virgin [Child Safe, F-Secure] to help you with this.
myths384
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi my password is definitely not predictable and there are no strange devices on my network, the only people that have the password except family and none of us have a clue about peer 2 peer, can you tell me how I restrict file sharing and peer 2 peer apps please
0 Kudos
PeteH
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Problem with this advice, change the password for admin from all digitals, weak, to a stronger password with upper and lower case letters and punctuation via the web interface and the app fails, reset the box to the all digits password the app connects but the password is weak.
0 Kudos
PeteH
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

My changed admin password was actually upper and lower case letters and a digit and an ! to say what I thought of the default security!!!
0 Kudos