cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin Media customer research interview: £80 incentive

kmufc77
Joining in

Hi i received an email asking to take part in a customer leaving research interview and getting paid £80 for a 45 min interview.

The email states my correct first name and correct last digits of account number.

So im wondering if this is legit??

This is an officially endorsed email from Virgin Media for the account ending .

Dear ,

We are writing to let you know about a research project we are running to understand more about customers leaving Virgin Media.

Virgin Media has commissioned ResearchBods, an independent market research agency, to conduct this research on their behalf.

You may receive a call from one of the team at ResearchBods, to arrange a suitable time to take part in a 45 - 60 minute video or telephone interview to share your experiences.

All customers that take part in this research will be paid £80 as a thank you for your help and participation.

If you would like to express your interest in taking part, please email me directly: jhorgan@researchbods.com

Thanks

ResearchBods on behalf of Virgin Media

9 REPLIES 9

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi kmufc77

Thanks for posting. I have emailed a contact with this to check on it. I'll be back in touch as soon as I know anything. 

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Was this ever answered? I have also received the same type of mail today 

Hey PrivateMe, thank you for reaching out with your question today.

I am going to send you a PM so we can look into together.

Please look out for the purple envelope. Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

I have received the same email, is this legitimate? If not, I'm also concerned how they obtained my account details.

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for posting on the help forum, rich_uk. 
We'd like to advise this email you're received is legitimate although managed by a third party company, we apologise if this caused some confusion.
Any more questions you may have, feel free to ask and we're happy to help.

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi

i have had the same email from discovery research limited offering £80 cash for a virgin stream box survey. 

the company has a website and London address but I’ve checked with virgin and they haven’t heard of this survey. Please could you advise? I’ve got them coming next Wednesday. I am trying to cancel but they aren’t answering their phone now. 

I’ve also said when I am at home next week so need to know if I should not leave the house now. 

@Vicstar078 wrote:

Hi

i have had the same email from discovery research limited offering £80 cash for a virgin stream box survey. 

the company has a website and London address but I’ve checked with virgin and they haven’t heard of this survey. Please could you advise? I’ve got them coming next Wednesday. I am trying to cancel but they aren’t answering their phone now. 

I’ve also said when I am at home next week so need to know if I should not leave the house now. 

You know, this does sound suspiciously like a violation of the GDPR rules (which, incidentally are still legally enforceable). Still I’m sure I must be wrong and shortly a member of the forum team will clarify the legal basis on which customer information was transferred to a third party, no? 

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Well, the T&Cs that customers are deemed to agree to have nothing on data protection, and merely refer (last para of the preamble before section A) to VM's privacy policy which is not part of the agreement.  Under the said privacy policy, VM say they will share customer data with (in essence) Uncle Tom Cobley and all, look under the section Who we share your information and why.

Now some maybe even most of those are necessary (eg relevant customer service providers, couriers, relevant IT service companies, plus the fraud, credit, banking aspects), but let's pick some others that nobody has expressly consented to: Business consultancy service companies, data brokers,advertising partners including social media partners.  Have a look under the section How we collect your information, and particularly consider the section From your use of our services.  You did agree to them sharing all your browsing data, your call data, your device data and your programme history, with in essence anybody that wants it?

Put your hand up if you provided the clear, unambiguous consent that is required?  Ermmm...anybody?  C'mon may one of VM's 5 million odd customers was actually asked and then said "yes, I'd really like you to play fast and loose with everything you can possibly collect about me and my data and sell it all off to scumbag data brokers, scumbag social media companies, ad firms, and anybody who can claim to be a consultancy service company"?  Oh, so that's no one.

Anybody reading this who is horrified should complain to the ICO that they have not been given the express opportunity to opt out of sharing specific data or with specific companies.  Under the privacy policy there is a statement that you can selectively opt out, but the link provided doesn't do anything - it merely redirects to the "Contact us" page, rather than a competent individual, working web page for opting out.  Try phoning the useless customer service agents and see how far you get in a selective opt out.

On so many levels this appears to be a wanton breach of GDPR.   To become complaint VM need to contact every single customer, seeking express permission, with an opt out for any category of third party who is not strictly and legally necessary to provide the service, or for compliance with law or regulation.  When can I expect to be contacted?

Hey @Vicstar078 thanks for reaching out to us and a warm welcome to the Virgin Media forums.

I'm sorry to hear about the issues regarding the "Research Interview".
I will look in to this for you and advise you on the next steps.
I will send a private message - watch out for the purple envelope inviting you in.

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs