cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin Media Super Hub 2

Jimmac2
Tuning in

The June 2022 issue of Which? Magazine pp 20-24 (Which.co.uk) addresses security issues with smart devices, including the Super Hub 2 which I have. Your staff claim to have no knowledge of the issue, nor the magazine article.

When will I get an upgrade?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Jimmac2
Tuning in

Thanks for your reply. I have not been experiencing issues personally, however I refer you again to the Which? article. The Super Hub 2 is a very old router. Despite your assertions about security, independent assessors find there are in fact serious issues. Why do you insist I should keep this old router and be exposed to security risks?

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey @Jimmac2, thank you for your post regrading the Hub2.

All our hubs have the latest update security features on and they are very safe and reliable to use.

Have you been accessing any issues with the hub at all or are you just worried about the security features of it? 

Regards,

Steven_L

Jimmac2
Tuning in

Thanks for your reply. I have not been experiencing issues personally, however I refer you again to the Which? article. The Super Hub 2 is a very old router. Despite your assertions about security, independent assessors find there are in fact serious issues. Why do you insist I should keep this old router and be exposed to security risks?

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

From what I have read the security risk requires someone to be on your LAN probably by WiFi, that’s how they tested it. Therefore the security is up to you, you MUST have a very secure password on your WiFi, mine is 32 bytes long. Also everyone says that VM WiFi is not very good and has a very short range so someone sitting in a car outside your house trying to break into your WiFi would get n extremely bad signal. 
So anyone trying to get into your hub would firstly have to get onto your WiFi before attempting to crack your hubs password. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Jimmac2
Tuning in

Hi, Tudor. Get the impression you haven't read the article. 

Jimmac2
Tuning in

So Tudor, do you mind butting out?

Hi, please address my questions. If you won't, ok, I'll take alternative routes. Good luck.

jamesofmerton
Super solver
'Your staff claim to have no knowledge of the issue, nor the magazine article'

why would virgin staff be sitting there reading which?

tudor gave the same response i would have done. telling them to butt out does not hep your cause in gaining further help on here from the community.

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @Jimmac2,

I am sorry you feel that our Hub2 is not safe or protected.

However it is, it has the same software as our other Hubs, which protects it from hackers / viruses.

We can not refer to a third party magazine for information, we are only able to use what we have on our website/system.

Also our community members are here to help you, please do try to be less rude when they are only trying to offer you advice on the question/post you have asked.

Kind regards,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide