cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin Media Malware alerts - help please

Poppet64
Joining in

Hi, I have received 6 emails (all containing our account details and a VM reference numbers) purporting to be from Virgin Media stating we have a malware problem:

"We’ve now been alerted on five separate occasions that one or more of the devices you use to go on the internet is infected with malicious software (malware). This means there’s a significant risk that your personal data and any financial transactions you’ve made online have been compromised. The details of this alert are below.

This probably isn’t your fault, but we do need you to make some changes now to ensure your data remains safe and secure. We’ll help you do that."

So far I have received these emails on:

12/01/2021- 'iotmirai malware' (detected on 10 January 2021)

25/01/2021 - 'iotscan malware' (detected on 24/01/2021)

30/04/2021 - 'Mirai malware' (detected on 29/04/2021)

17/05/2021 - 'Mirai malware' (detected on 15/05/2021)

07/06/2021 - 'Mirai malware' (detected on 05/06/2021)

23/06/2021 - 'Mirai malware' (detected on 22/06/2021)

There is no help or any knowledge from Virgin media by phone, thus completely the contrary to the 'We will help you do this' stated in the email.  

I have been told it is a scam by Virgin Tier 1 and 2 technical support and customer services.  Importantly they have repeatedly told me not to click on any of the hyperlinks in these emails - I have not done so.

I was asked to forward one of the emails to phishing@virginmedia.com which I did on 07/06/2021 and asked them to call me.  No one did.

Finally I spoke to a grumpy man in retentions who assured me the emails were genuine (contrary to everyone else at Virgin media to that point) and he got very irritated with me because I declined to click on any of the hyperlinks (based on the advice of all the telephone technical support advisers I have spoken to).

I then had an engineer visit - this week - who immediately thought the emails were a scam and took a screenshot so he could take it up with his team lead.  He had no idea how to help though.

AND THEN TODAY - 16/07/2021 - I have received another communication but this time via Royal Mail post telling me now that I have 'conficker malware'.

Can anyone please tell me what to do, if anything?  Also, does Virgin Media support answer these posts?

3 REPLIES 3

goslow
Alessandro Volta

You have already received answers on your original query.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/VM-Malware-letter/m-p/4774115#M44238

Avoid making multiple posts on the same subject as it can cause great confusion for those replying and is against forum rules.

Apologies, it is the first time I have used this community forum. I was a bit concerned that my post in the other discussion was perhaps misleading as I have no connection to the original poster. Is there a way that I can move the replies to me in that post to this main post so it is not agains the rules but separates my problem as an individual issue? Thanks for any advice you can give me.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Apologies (on my part) for the somewhat blunt way my message at #2 reads. I could have phrased it better.

Always best to start your own topic for the reasons you have given. Someone might split the previous answers into this topic.

From my previous reply ...

VM support won't directly help you with the issue as the problem(s) will be on your own network, which is not VM's responsibility.

Have you viewed the VM info on 'Mirai', which seems to be related to IOT devices?

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/mirai-malware-alert

Do you have any such devices on your network?

Conficker is Windows malware. Do you have Windows devices connected? If so, what anti-virus/anti malware do you have in place? Have you run full anti-virus scans on your Windows devices? The free version of Malwarebytes is often recommended on here to use alongside other anti-virus software.

You should try to pin down your search first of all to the most-likely culprits for the malware which has been mentioned and investigate those first of all.

VM forum staff do reply on here but often they can't tell you too much more than the information from the emails/letters nor can they help you track down the problem on your network. They will typically reply to topics within a day or two.