Menu
Sturan
Joining in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Media Data Breach?

In the last two weeks I have had attempts to hack two accounts, Amazon and Netflix. Thankfully I have caught them before anything bad has happened and Amazon have currently locked my account. However it appears whoever it was must have got into my email. They had actually managed to change the email on the Amazon account (some Russian email address)  I have since changed my Virgin Media password.  Amazon confirmed that they are receiving numerous calls from users who have ntlworld.com and BTInternet email accounts.   This suggests that Virgin's data has been compromised.  I have searched and have no idea where I can officially report this so trying to do it through this community.  Virgin, can you please respond if you are aware of any data breaches?

0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Wise owl
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin Media Data Breach?

I'm struggling here to understand how a breach of Virgin Media email could result in anyone getting your Amazon password which would be needed to change your Amazon email address to a Russian one.

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@Dave_cq wrote:

I'm struggling here to understand how a breach of Virgin Media email could result in anyone getting your Amazon password which would be needed to change your Amazon email address to a Russian one.

Having control of the email address associated with the Amazon account allowed them to use the Forgot Password link, then set the password, and finally change the email address — more than likely they would have tried this with other popular online services.

0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Wise owl
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@用心棒 wrote:

@Dave_cq wrote:

Having control of the email address associated with the Amazon account allowed them to use the Forgot Password link, then set the password, and finally change the email address — more than likely they would have tried this with other popular online services.

OK, but I still don't see how this proves a breach of VM email.  You can pick up random email addresses from all over the place and use them as a starting point to play the Forgot Password game.

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@Sturan, the “data breach” question, be aware it can take the forum team a few days to work through to your post.

Consider using an email service that has a similar or better level of security to that of the service is is securing.

0 Kudos
chenks
Super solver
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

it's more likely the data breach happened locally to you. ie you were using a weak password on your email account or your local device was breached.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@Dave_cq wrote:

@用心棒 wrote:

@Dave_cq wrote:

OK, but I still don't see how this proves a breach of VM email.  You can pick up random email addresses from all over the place and use them as a starting point to play the Forgot Password game.

It does not and IMHO Sturan will have a hard time showing that to the cause for the email address being compromised unless Virgin Media or other third party confirm it.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@chenks wrote:
it's more likely the data breach happened locally to you. ie you were using a weak password on your email account or your local device was breached.

Or the same password was used with another service which has experienced a data breach.

@Sturan,  consider checking your email address with Have I Been Pwned

0 Kudos
Sturan
Joining in
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Maybe, but I do not use same passwords for any two accounts and I only access emails on my PC at home, so absolutely no one has got access to that. Its has F-Secure and I use Malwarebytes to regularly scan.

0 Kudos
coenoby
Well-informed
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@Sturan wrote:

Amazon confirmed that they are receiving numerous calls from users who have ntlworld.com and BTInternet email accounts.

Did they tell you about these?

https://techcrunch.com/2018/11/21/amazon-admits-it-exposed-customer-email-addresses-doubles-down-on-...

https://www.hackread.com/amazon-suffers-security-breach/

https://www.databreachlawyers.co.uk/news/amazon-data-breach-incidents-from-staff-bribes

On another tack. Have you checked your VM Webmail account to ensure the hackers have not set up any filter rules or autoforwards?

That is an alternative strategy they use to keep you in the dark about any transactions they make on your Amazon, eBay or other online account. They create filters in Webmail to send incoming emails from Amazon to an email account they control and delete the originals from your email account.

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
0 Kudos