Menu
Highlighted
Billyofbristol
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

VPN

Hello All,

I have recently 'upgraded' to a Virgin Media 3.0 hub a few weeks ago.  Since then i have decided to start using a VPN to increase my personal online security.

For the first 24-48 hrs this new paid-for VPN service worked as intended and I was feeling like it was money well spent.

However, after one to two days I have been unable to connect to my new VPN service (which I have paid for, upfront, for the next two years).

I have been extensively reasearching Virgin's forums for a fix and it seems that a great number of their customers have found that their efforts to safeguard themselves through the use of a VPN have been frustrated by virgins self-admitted substandard firmware,  and excused with impotent promises of corrective updates being applied at some undetermined point in the future. These comments date back to at least 2017 with no discernable corrective action having being taken by Virgin.  It is now 2019.

The fact that my VPN worked without fault at the start then suddenly stopped working, points to one fact:  That Virgin Media are actively disabling access to the internet through a VPN. This is not laid out in any of the terms and conditions of 'the contract' as laid out by Virgin Media.

As such, Virgin Media are required to stop blocking VPNs or face reimbursing customers for their historical breach of contract.

I expect Virgin media to actively pick up on this complaint and redress the matter with no further input from myself or find themselves subject to an investigation by the business conduct authority.

Yours Kindly,

Billy

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: VPN

Hello Billyofbristol

Unfortunately we cannot provide technical support for the VPN issue as we do not support these. Have you tried running a broadband test without the VPN to see if there is an issue?

Thanks Joe_F 

0 Kudos
DreamOfCheese
Rising star
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I was surprised how rapidly the content of the post went from sounding rational and doing research to straight up conspiracy declarations and threats of regulatory/legal action.

The fact that your VPN worked and now doesn't does not point to "one fact", your fact is nothing but a theory based on insufficient evidence.

Virgin are not in the business of running DPI on traffic to detect VPN usage and then blocking just that, and if they were it wouldn't take two days for it to happen.

Most VPN services you pay for have multiple ways to connect to them, via their own app, OpenVPN, L2TP/IPsec, or PPTP. I recommend trying one of these alternate methods, OpenVPN may be the best of the bundle if it turns out the Hub is having issues with passing through VPN services.

Most the people I've seen on the forums having issues with VPNs and the Hub 3 historically have issues immediately after connecting or cannot connect due to pass through issues, it doesn't sound so much like an issue with the Hub if it took two days for an issue to emerge, and in event that you can't try a different VPN protocol as I mentioned above it may be worth your time to contact your VPN provider for their technical support. Or look into buying your own third party router and using the Hub in modem mode which rules it out altogether. (You could also put it into modem mode and connect just your PC to it to test if it works when the Hub isn't handling the routing of traffic.)

Just of note for the future, when posting something as an issue that has quite a complex level of variables and different issues it could be, it's best not to say "no further input from myself".

jamesofmerton
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

'I expect Virgin media to actively pick up on this complaint and redress the matter with no further input from myself or find themselves subject to an investigation by the business conduct authority'

1. virgin are not responsible for the vpn you use. contact the vpn company
2. there is no such organisation that deal with virgin called the 'business conduct authority'
3. nothing will happen whether you decide to give more input here or not.

speak to the vpn company you paid for. i have several friends that use vpn's and they have no problems.i also use one elsewhere for my anti scamming work. never had a problem either.

Billyofbristol
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hello again Virgin,

I’ve re-read my previous message today and I agree that that it was a highly unreasonable tone for me to take.  I have subsequently found a resolution to the VPN issues by changing settings in the VPN itself, as suggested above.

I am not trying to excuse myself but I’ll just state that the technical difficulties I faced were a minor annoyance that came at the end of a very stressful day which sent me into keyboard warrior mode. So I’ll take thi opportunity to apologise for being a bit of a [REMOVED] and thank Virgin for presenting a solution despite my poor attitude.

Please regard my complaint as retracted and resolved.

Humbly,

Billy

Post Edit - Inappropriate Language

[MOD EDIT: Inappropriate language removed, please review the Forum Guidelines]

Billyofbristol
Tuning in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your considered and helpful response. I admit I was having an unwarranted hissy fit. The problem is resolved now thanks, in part, to your useful input.