cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VM don't take security seriously

JPL8
Fibre optic

Anyone who uses the internet wants to be assured that their data is secure and being handled responsibly.

On Sunday (31/10/21) I found a problem with my account. When I sign in, sometimes my account name is shown correctly as "Jean-Paul" and sometimes it's "Jackie". Clearly this is concerning. So I contacted Virgin via WhatsApp (which is an epic story in itself) to share screenshots showing the problem.

Addressed as "Jackie" in the chat, I was told that the IT team would take 3-5 working days to fix the "glitch"! Not very reassuring.

Virgin didn't take my concern about fraud and data security very seriously. After over an hour of back and forth and round in circles on WhatsApp I rang them to see if there was anyone who could think independently outside of a script.

Again, I was told the IT team worked office hours and not weekends and the complaint had been passed to the fraud team to investigate. I pointed out that fraud is a 24/7 activity and I really need to know what action Virgin are taking to ensure that my account and data are secure.

After another round on WhatsApp on Monday I was promised that someone would get back to me within 72 hours … and guess what? No response.

So the only clear answer I've had is that Virgin would do nothing until Monday morning and that I won't know what they did, if anything, until maybe Friday. They didn't even offer any advice on what I could do to secure my account.

I've changed my passwords, but "Jackie" is still there.

In the meantime, all I can do is hope and pray that "Jackie" is just a "glitch". Easily fixed, apparently, but just not in the evening … or Saturdays … or Sundays … or any time soon.

Virgin, the way you're dealt with this has been pathetic. A new low in customer service even by your standards. So thanks for nothing — I've reported you to the Information Commissioner's Office and raised a formal complaint.

00000079-PHOTO-2021-10-31-16-58-27_edit.jpg00000080-PHOTO-2021-10-31-16-58-44_edit.jpg

29 REPLIES 29

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Are you able to replicate the issue when using your mobile browser's Incognito / Private mode?

OK. Great idea. 

This is nuts … because it looks absolutely nothing like the My Virgin Media page I was getting … see below.

So either Virgin have spent the last 10 days building me my own customised My Virgin Media page, or they're in the middle of updating the website. This is something completely new compared to the previous screenshots I posted here. Not all of the links on this page are fully functional! Hitting the account settings tab goes back to the old style layout, for example.

Edit 1: This only works in private mode. Will probably need to reset my browser to get this with a non-private tab.

Edit 2: And cannot get this new style on desktop incognito at all.

Edit 3: And back to old layout with "Jackie" even in private on mobile.

IMG_3749.PNG

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Seeing same changes with My Virgin Media on some device but not others. Considering this additional variability it might be best now to wait for the result of the raised ticket to determine the cause of the mysterious Jackie username.

@用心棒 wrote:

it might be best now to wait for the result of the raised ticket to determine the cause of the mysterious Jackie username.

I won’t be holding my breath 😂

I've just taken a look and the ticket is still open and being looked into, as soon as we get an update on this we'll let you know JPL8.

Rob

@Robert_P wrote:

I've just taken a look and the ticket is still open and being looked into, as soon as we get an update on this we'll let you know JPL8.

Rob

So whilst this is “being looked into” … can you confirm if my account, and the others now reporting this problem, are safe and secure?

@JPL8in view of the fact that other posters have reported identical issues, I’ll re-evaluate my earlier comments about it being some oddball mistyping of a name into a field - it is screamingly obvious that something more fundamental has happened here. However having said that, there’s still no evidence that this is a sign of a hacking attempt or that your information has been compromised - after all, if I wanted to hack VM’s systems, the last thing I would want to do is draw attention to it by changing display names!

Hopefully they’ll make some sort of official statement on this in the near future, if not, well then you and others might well feel free to come to your own conclusions and initiate reports and complaints to the ICO.

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Following was posted late morning today:

@ModTeam wrote:

Hello all

We have been made aware of some incorrect information showing on some online accounts.

The name 'Jackie' appears in the top right hand corner as shown in the image below

Nathan_B_0-1636710197015.png

Our support team are aware of this issue and are working to have it resolved ASAP.

UPDATE - This is now just affecting IOS users, the issue has been resolved for other users.

Regards

ModTeam

[source: 'Jackie' showing incorrectly on online accounts ]

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@用心棒 wrote:

UPDATE - This is now just affecting IOS users, the issue has been resolved for other users.

[source: 'Jackie' showing incorrectly on online accounts ]

@JPL8  in fact that post from the froummoderators has now been update again to say:

UPDATE - Our support teams have now confirmed this is resolved for all users

JPL8 it would be great to know if you are no longer seeing the mystery "Jacklie"

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks Coenoby & 用心棒

Yes, just to confirm "Jackie" is gone … I'm missing her already 🤣

Thanks again to all the community members that helped out with this.

👍 Coenoby, jem101 & 用心棒 Great work.