cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VIRGIN COMMUNITY WEBSITE BING SEARCH BRING UP ODD ENTRY

ALF28
Super solver

This only happens on edge- bing, not firefox or google chrome- a search bring up a strange entry-could be fake?

The web site is not a usual  one with no www in the web address.

It bring up posts on mobile phones but look like an advert by virgin for iphones.

• Virgin Media Community

AdGet the iPhone 12 Pro From Just £37 a Month With No Upfront Cost on Virgin Mobile.. All 5G Plans Include Data Rollover & Data-Free Messaging on WhatsApp, Twitter and Facebook

4/5  (3,258 reviews)

The page it brings up look like a genuine community page posting- page 4

iPhone 12 pro delivery - Page 4 - Virgin Media Community - 4465912

The web site certificate is genuine, so this may be an advert by virgin media? or a fake one that redirect to a community page with iphone posts.

Please confirm if the page is genuine as I have used it to log into the community.

This unusual link is top of the bing search engine list for virgin community above the normal link which is -

Home - Virgin Media Community

Welcome to the Virgin Media Community - the best place to search for help and tips on how to get the most from our services. Enjoy looking around - if you feel at home why not sign up and join in? Here's our getting started guide Members 603,053

The advertising link has been there for a few days and I keep clicking on this unusual page to log in?- needs checking.

alf28

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

cje85
Trouble shooter

Everything looks fine. Both links are to exactly the same page on https://community.virginmedia.com/ one of them just has some Bing related data added on to the end, which is normal for a search engine link. 

I can see from previous posts you have great concerns about security/hacking etc but in this case there is nothing to worry about. 

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

ALF28
Super solver

AS NO REPLY YET-

ADDITIONAL INFORMATIOM

the fake web page is -

the genuine web page is -

These bring up different https web links???  ( also the padlock dissapeared when I was checking the possible fake pag)

An explanation is needed by virgin forum, this could be a security problem, I have used the fake page to log into email as well as community so hope both versions of the post page are genuine?

alf28

CHECKED- possible FAKE WEB PAGE NOW REMOVED BY VIRGIN?- 13.10 13/8/21

No comment yet from forum on this possible fake page?

Do I need to change passwords on my email and community accounts? (I have already done this)

Not sure if the possible fake page was by virgin or a third party.?

Hope virgin  media forum will enlighten the community on this security issue?

Was this a virgin media advertisement using the community pages, redirection, middleman attack or a disgruntled customer placing a fake web page or phising duplicate fake website, if so very clever as it looks totally authentic appart from a different weblink.

My concern would be security of my email password, and although my email/virign account was OK I have changed the password. I have noted a lot of people in recent posts can not access their email/mailbox, hope it is not related.

By having an email icon in the community page, it links the community page to the actual virgin media account so any fake community websites/pages could collect email user names and passwords.

alf28

cje85
Trouble shooter

Everything looks fine. Both links are to exactly the same page on https://community.virginmedia.com/ one of them just has some Bing related data added on to the end, which is normal for a search engine link. 

I can see from previous posts you have great concerns about security/hacking etc but in this case there is nothing to worry about. 

I can see from previous posts you have great concerns about security/hacking

Thanks for the reply, perhaps that is correct, but strange how the webpage link in bing has been removed now by somebody, but pleased you have confirmed that this is not a security risk

I have never seen such a link before, as the link appeared to be virgin media, not directly the community.

Some of my issues with security have had benfits such as  when I posted about the open port on the virgin router some time ago (now closed) which became a big issue at the time.

Also having my "own router" seems to be much better with much fewer problems now occuring

I presume that virgin media and the community still do want customer feedback even if it may be due to concerns regarding "staying safe on the internet", I do my best to stay safe and cautious when using the internet and connected devices, and have reduced my postings now, just when an issue becomes obvious that it not a usual event. I am very busy with life, so do not have time now for posting , only if I think it may be waranted.

alf28

Website searches often bring up more than one choise

eg virgin community-

• virgin media community

AdGet the iPhone 12 Pro From Just £37 a Month With No Upfront Cost on Virgin Mobile.. All 5G Plans Include Data Rollover & Data-Free Messaging on WhatsApp, Twitter and Facebook

iPhone 11 - From £24.00/month · iPhone 12 - From £28.00/month · iPhone 12 Pro - From £40.00/month

Home - Virgin Media Community

Welcome to the Virgin Media Community - the best place to search for help and tips on how to get the most from our services. Enjoy looking around - if you feel at home why not sign up and join in? Here's our getting started guide Members 603,053

----------------------------------

Virgin media-

• Virgin Media - Official Site

Switching to Virgin Media. We’ve made switching super easy. You choose your services and we will send you everything you need or send one of our engineers. 1. Choose your services. Check out our offers and see what tickles your fancy. 2. Pick a time. When you place your order, if your home has had our services before, we can send the ...

• Bundles

Virgin Media broadband packages Welcome to the home of blistering-fast broadband …

• Broadband

Virgin Media’s best broadband deals are in a league of their own. Our fastest widely …

• TV

Virgin Media TV | TV Packages & Deals | Virgin Media

• Phone

Take a look at the best landline and home phone deals available with Virgin Media. …

• What to watch

Squeeze the very best out of your TV with Virgin TV Edit. Chock-full of telly highlights …

• Switching

Switching broadband is easier than you think at Virgin Media. In 4 simple steps, you can …

• Contact Us

Contact Virgin Media for help and support with broadband, TV, mobile and home phone.

• Check It Out

Virgin Media Deals | Broadband, TV & Phone | Virgin Media

• Shop Home

Compare Broadband Packages | Virgin Media

• Accessibility

At Virgin Media, we want everybody to enjoy our great products and services. That's why …

•  
  • Virgin Media - Sign in to My Virgin Media

My Virgin Media, making managing your account easier with all your information in one place. Access your bills, diagnose faults and manage your package.

1. Sign in with your My Virgin Media details

email. or password. password. ? If you’re not on a personal device, please see our help on private browsing. No account? Create one >.

-----------------------------------

All of these sites are presumably genuine, but some are marked official and others seem to be "sign in" or advertisements.

I prefer to click one listed as official and without the adverts, or type in the web address manually.

It is interesting that the search result can vary depending on the browser used and if a vpn is used it only brings up the official sites for some reason, so may be an advantage using vpn.

Where there is a choise in the search engine this may be to identify difffrent services or quick links, if an advertising version is chosen there is usually thee bars to click and then home brings up the home page.

I am lazy and should type in the web adddress  and perhaps rely too much on the search engine.

alf28

Ah the perils of relying on a search engine to take you where you want to go rather than typing in (and saving as a favourite) the URL directly!

What results you get towards the top of the list depends on what search engine is being used (Edge defaults to Bing and Chrome - not surprisingly - uses Google's) and also who happens to have paid the most money to have their result promoted!

Among other things, search engines use how many links have been made to a particular page when working out the ratings, you can easily have a situation where searching for a particular site, returns not the homepage for it but a sub-page as the higher result - simply because there are more links to that sub-page than to the homepage.

Don't rely on search engines necessarily giving you what you expect to have as the top result - and it changes day by day.