cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V.M Helpdesk call back

alakat01
Tuning in

Today I called the VM help desk to try and resolve an issue with my router. They couldn't sort it so said they would call me back sometime during the day with a possible answer.

After about five hours they called back asking for the log in credentials so that they could proceed.

I normally get 3 calls a week from a foreign call center saying they are from VM and at least 3 others pretending to be from someone else, so I naturally asked for some proof in the form of asking what the issue we discussed was about. She said she couldn't give any details until I had passed on my credentials.

Shouldn't there be a system in place for the customers to be able to confirm that the person calling is from VM. 

6 REPLIES 6

goslow
Alessandro Volta

What do you mean by 'login credentials'? When you speak to VM they will typically ask you for letters from your chosen security word as well as other info. about your account.

It is pretty rare for VM to arrange a phone call back again like that for a tech problem. Usually it is offered as a means to get you off the line when the CS agent can't help or does not know what to do next.

I would suggest there is a high chance the 'return call' you got was coincidence and actually from a scam caller. You might get a clue from the caller ID number but that is not really reliable either as it can be faked (a random number that can't be traced or searched online will be a scam).

Unfortunately, the scam callers have actually rendered inbound phone communication from VM to the customer totally untrustworthy as it is impossible to tell a real VM overseas call centre from a fake one which is spoofing a VM caller ID. For this reason, giving out security or personal info to anyone phoning you claiming to be VM is a non-starter IMO.

If you need to contact VM, then the only reliable way to do that is to place an outbound call. If you still have a tech problem with your router then the VM forum here can help with that.

The VM forum team will reply on here in a day or two and may be able to confirm from their records if the call was genuine or not. They should also be able to help with your router problem if that is still an issue.

I dont think they could resolve the problem. It is with the HUB 4 going back to original settings on powering down and as they couldn't fix it they wanted a call back. I've looked through the forum and the only fix someone suggested didn't reso;ve the issue.

Yes it was the security password and details she asked for but as I already had one bogus call that morning I wasn't giving any details out unless they could confirm their authenticity. 

I was thinking that if they arrange a call back then they need to use some sort of coded system ie. password that they can use to show they are the person you were talking too.

I agree that scam callers are a real pain.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

IMO you were right not to give out any info. even though it might be dragging out a fix for your hub problem.

Wait for the VM forum team to pick this up shortly. They will, hopefully, be able to confirm it was a genuine call from their notes on your account and also help you with the hub 4 resetting issue.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The help (!) desk telling you they will call you back just seems to be a way of closing the call down for their stats. Very few people have reported that they have been called back.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Alakat01,

Thanks for your post, I am sorry to hear you had a scam call and are having issues with your hub, can you expand on the issues and we can try to help from here 

Zoie

Thanks for the replies. AS said I do get at least 3 scam calls a week from a "VM rep". A couple of months ago I was getting 1 a day it changed a bit after I said I had moved provider. Now I get the odd one from Sky or BT as well as the 3 for VM.

Most of the time they ask straight away to install  some software so they are easy to spot.

As to the problem, the help desk may have sent something down to the hub as it is now keeping the Wifi name and password when it is powered down. Will see over time if it is a fix or just a temporary reprieve.