cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unwanted calls from 08001836408

patsyb
On our wavelength

I am receiving frequent calls from this number. The caller speaks very bad English and cannot even pronounce my name. I hung up straight away.  I have blocked the number so hopefully they will cease now, though probably will now come from a different number.

27 REPLIES 27

Katie_WT
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks @KarenT1

Hope that the calls reduce for your Mum - we're seeing so many more scams and phishing attempts recently; even on my mobile and landline. 

We do appreciate you getting in touch with us also to keep us informed - it helps us know what is going on and enables us to keep updates with what is going on. 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

Roy48s
Tuning in

I keep getting calls from this number and it's clearly scammers. Some foreigner asks me to confirm all my details, address etc. If it was a genuine call from Virgin they would not need to ask my details, they would already know my details, so please everybody DO NOT give your details to anybody over the phone no matter what they tell you or how convincing they are, tell them if they need to contact you to put it in writing.

Molly_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Roy48s,

Thanks for your comment and sorry to hear you've been contacted by scam callers. We do have some further advice on Fraudulent Calls that you may find useful.

In addition, it is worth noting that some details may be requested from our agents in order to pass security with you - however, if you do have any suspicions at all we would always encourage our customers to inform the caller that they will ring us back on 0345 454 1111 to confirm that this was legitimate and can resume resume the call.

Many thanks,

Molly_G
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

@Molly_G wrote:

Hi @Roy48s,

it is worth noting that some details may be requested from our agents in order to pass security with you

What security? If you call me then it should be me needing to confirm you are who you say you are, NOT vice versa, you should not be asking customers to confirm ANY details over the phone. The calls I get from 08001836408 start by asking me to confirm my address and postcode, Virgin know my address so would never ask for it over the phone. Telephone is the least secure communication there is, email is more secure than telephone, anyone can hack into telephone calls (I know because I've done so in the past with a device bought through the classifieds of Sunday Sport many years ago, not for any malicious reason I'll add, just curiosity and fun at the time). No legitimate company would ever ask it's customers to confirm address and date of birth over the phone.

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Interesting assertion, however, suppose someone other than you answers your phone.  Would you be happy for that person to make changes to your account on your behalf?

Security is a two way process.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Molly_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Roy48s,

Details are required to ascertain who exactly we are speaking to and ensure this is the account holder or if not, someone with permission from the account holder. Certain letters of the password will be asked but never the full password.

As mentioned, if in doubt, the option to call us directly is always available to determine the legitimacy of a call - but security questions will still be asked that way too which you will have gone through in the past if you have ever spoken to our customer services team via the phone or messaging services. This is to protect your account.

Thanks,

Molly_G
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

MariaF1
Joining in

I have received another call from this number today despite updating marketing preferences with Virgin Media a couple of weeks ago, asking for no marketing calls.  I’m sure this must a breach of GDPR

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi MariaF1,

It takes up to 28 days for marketing preferences to be updated, so the call may have been made within that period.

If you have a mobile or sim with VM you also need to update those preferences as well as the ones in MyVirginMedia.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Just had a call from  0800 183 6408.

I recognised it as a dodgy number from a while back, so didn't answer it.

Hi ggoodwin

The number is our sales team 🙂

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill