cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unsure Virgin Media scam calls

Notnowalfie
Tuning in

An indian lady just called stating she was VM and i had hackers accessing my ip address, and needed her help with a code. i asked questions as i had been having some issues with a new hub, her reply was 'you must co-operate mam' so i put down the phone, anyone else have these calls, she called yesterday but i had a visitor and said not now sorry.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

This was a 100% scam call. The real VM do not make unsolicited support calls in this way.

If you are having problems with your hub, make your own outbound call to VM or post in one of the technical forums on here and someone will help with that.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

goslow
Alessandro Volta

This was a 100% scam call. The real VM do not make unsolicited support calls in this way.

If you are having problems with your hub, make your own outbound call to VM or post in one of the technical forums on here and someone will help with that.

Thank you, appreciated the support... i've moved the hub so i'll see how goes, thank you for taking time to reply.

Thank you for taking time to answer, i'm reassured, much appreciated. I've also moved the hub but will use your advice, thanks again

Katztheone
Tuning in

I had exactly the same thing this morning, a very rude indian gentleman telling me that someone had gained access through my router, he just kept telling me that it was extremely urgent and important that I listen to him. He told me he could give me my account details and address so I asked to do so before I would continue the call (by this time I kind of knew it was a scam) he kept talking over me, was raising his voice and in the end I lost my temper and shouted at him, then hung up.

Definitely not a VM employee, they would never have been so rude and aggressive

Thank you  feel so much more reassured now....

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

As soon as you are sure it is a scam END THE CALL IMMEDIATELY. Do not continue to converse with them.

Also I would warn against being abusive to them. Scammers are increasingly using "cloned" numbers on caller ID from genuine households & businesses to make the call look more legitimate. Some of these scammers are going as far as "pooling" numbers of abusive respondants & using their numbers to scam others. Hence these people get abusive calls from other scam victims who think they are the scammers.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi all, Incredibly sorry to hear of these SCAM calls. I understand they can be highly unnerving. 

You did completely the right thing by ending the call and contacting us to let us know. We have a policy on scam and fraud calls which can be found here. 

If you are ever contacted by ourselves at Virgin Media during an outbound call we would ask Data protection questions, however we would never ask you to reveal information such Your bank account number or the long number on your bank card. If you have any concerns that the call is not from us, please hang up, and give us a call back on 0345 454 1111 where we will be able to confirm if the call has been legitimate. 

If you have any further questions or concerns please let us know and we will do our best to offer support and guidance. 

All the best!

Molly

Thank you Molly and virgin media, what a very useful community site. 

best wishes Jane 

Thanks for the update on the scam calls and the links to contact Virgin. I've also had a couple of calls over the last couple of days purporting to be from Virgin Media technical support.

Regards