cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unsolicited Technical Support Call

FenTigger
Tuning in

I've just had an unsolicited call from a number that appears to come from Leeds (0113 522 xxx) claiming to be from Virgin saying that I hadn't been receiving the speed from my broadband I should've had. Guy asked about the light colour on the front of the router, how many devices were connected and got a bit pushy when I told him I was not going to be using my laptop to run any software for him.

Funnily enough I had just restarted the router due to a wifi/ network issue. I've done this loads over the years and never had a call, so coincidence maybe. 

Scam or no?

[MOD EDIT: number edited in case it's an innocent number being spoofed]

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jem101
Superstar

@FenTigger wrote:

Snip....

Funnily enough I had just restarted the router due to a wifi/ network issue. I've done this loads over the years and never had a call, so coincidence maybe. 

Scam or no?

...Snip

Absolutely yes, a scam. Considering the number of these that are made each day, there are bound to be one or two that happen to coincide with a reboot or disconnection and that makes them seem realistic - but it is just a coincidence.

Also, be honest, most people if asked randomly, 'have you experienced any issues with your broadband recently' will think to themselves 'well it did seem a bit slow downloading all those cat videos and uploading pictures of my breakfast to facebook yesterday', and will instinctively answer 'yes'. Again it just makes the  call out of the blue seem more genuine.

VM, indeed no ISP, makes such unsolicited calls.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Definite scam - virgin media do not make unsolicited technical support calls.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks!

jem101
Superstar

@FenTigger wrote:

Snip....

Scam or no?

...Snip

Absolutely yes, a scam. Considering the number of these that are made each day, there are bound to be one or two that happen to coincide with a reboot or disconnection and that makes them seem realistic - but it is just a coincidence.

Also, be honest, most people if asked randomly, 'have you experienced any issues with your broadband recently' will think to themselves 'well it did seem a bit slow downloading all those cat videos and uploading pictures of my breakfast to facebook yesterday', and will instinctively answer 'yes'. Again it just makes the  call out of the blue seem more genuine.

VM, indeed no ISP, makes such unsolicited calls.

Thanks. Is there anyone who's not had the helpful "your internet connection is unstable" message from Teams and Zoom? So easy to fall into the trap. Next time I'll have more fun with them.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@FenTigger wrote:
. Next time I'll have more fun with them.

You do this at your own risk. Several posters on here have tried doing this for "fun" & ended up receiving dozens of abusive calls from other scam victims. Some of these scammers will note the numbers of people who irritate them & clone them, using their number to scam others.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks