cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to change 5GHz wireless security settings.

Hooky38
Tuning in

Hi,

I am a newbie and this is my first post.

Windows 10 OS says my wireless security system is to weak, and it is suggested I change it to WPA2. I can do this for 2.4GHz but 5GHz is greyed out and will not respond. I got the suggestion on a blog that if I change the SSID name, and password, then it should work. As I don't understand the principles behind this, I am nervous about changing the default factory settings. Can anybody advise? There is a post from Bev (Community Manager) on this, but the option to Reply was inoperative.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Hooky38 

The default settings for the Hub are for it to have the same SSID for both wireless frequencies.

So when you change the security settings for 2.4GHz the settings automatically replicate to the 5GHz frequency.  This is why the options are greyed out.

It reduces the number of changes you need to make.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi Hooky38,

Have you tried rebooting the hub?

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Yes I have rebooted the hub. I have also reset it to factory settings. A friend I have locally has the same settings as me, but all his devices are Apple and he gets no warning messages. It seems only MS Windows OS, which complains, and some VM comments say that security upgrading is a continual process. Thad doesn't explain why my setting for 5GHz is greyed out and unable to respond. The settings window does confirm that the router is set to use both 2.4 and 5GBz. My PC currently is connected to the router by wifi, but I have actually moved it beside the router and connected with an ethernet cable, but that made no difference. Using fault diagnostics suggested my wifi signal was weak.

I should have said, only MS windows 10 OS seems to complain.

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Hooky38 

The default settings for the Hub are for it to have the same SSID for both wireless frequencies.

So when you change the security settings for 2.4GHz the settings automatically replicate to the 5GHz frequency.  This is why the options are greyed out.

It reduces the number of changes you need to make.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hello Graham. I followed your advice and reset the 2.4GHz setting, which automatically changed the 5GHz although they stayed greyed out. I refreshed the window showing the settings for all my devices, and clicked on update. As before, it took a bit of time for anything to happen, but eventually the window said it was all updated. I think I was too impatient before, and didn't wait for the system to update, and forced it to close which took me offline and required a reset of the router. Thanks for your input, I will wait to see what effect this takes. 

Alx3cfc
Joining in

I'm a bit late to the party with this one but I work in IT so decided to have a go at fixing this. 

The fix is so simple:

In theory - Yes, if you have SSID replication enabled - It should carry the settings over from 2.4GHZ to 5 but it doesn't according to my IPhone. 

So if the box is greyed out - Simply add a letter onto the end of the 5GHZ SSID - Change the security setting to WPA2-PSK and then remove the letter. Scroll to the bottom and click apply changes. 

Hey presto! I have one happy IPhone again!