Menu
jnm21
Dialled in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Text supposedly from VM

I just had a message from 07507 330862

"Hi, it's Virgin Media here. We're detecting a connection issue that may be affecting your broadband speed. Fixing the issue might be easier than you think, tap the link below and follow some quick in-home checks virginmedia.com/connection"

Can you please confirm if this is genuine?  I have done a speed test & there is no issue.

I would suggest that you look at measures to reassure clients, e.g. provide the last 3 digits of the account number.

0 Kudos
campo7
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Text supposedly from VM

Hi

I have just tried to call the number and it doesn’t even dial. I would suggest deleting the message. 

Sorry for any inconvenience this has caused. 

I will report this to our security team. 

Here to help! I'm a manager helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

gary_580
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi

Just had the exact same and speedtest shows i have no issues.  The link on the text is legit so i believe it is from VM

MAnderson70
Up to speed
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I had this message as well, and was curious, so clicked the link. The destination page does look like a VM website and it takes you through a step by step guide on checking your cables/router. Initially, there is no request for personal data or login details. After the step by step guide, the page does offer a login if you want to check your connection status. I chose not to go that far just in case. Anyway, I've uploaded screenshots just to show you in case it helps ease anyone's mind or helps admin look into it further. (I'm not endorsing clicking the link or suggesting anyone does. Just sharing what I found).

image1.PNGimage2.PNGimage3.PNGimage4.PNGimage5.PNGimage6.PNGimage7.PNG

jnm21
Dialled in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thank you all for the replies.

I realised after posting that, unlike emails in texts the link is always what it says (i.e. PayPal.com can't link to PayPal.payments.com), so I did click on the link & thought it looked genuine.

It is still typical of VM to send it when no issue & without proof who it is from.

MAnderson70
Up to speed
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I don't understand why (if it IS actually Virgin) the number displayed and not the name, Virgin! For example, when I get my monthly allowance refresh text, it clearly states it is Virgin mobile. Surely Virgin Media can text a Virgin Mobile customer displaying the name, Virgin....? Or can they not? Would certainly save a lot of worry! 

0 Kudos
jnm21
Dialled in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

You should never rely on the number that appears as the incoming number on a call or text - the can be easily spoofed (has been OFCOM advice for at least 5 years, yet I have even had a highstreet bank try to ask me to rely upon it).  Apparently if you get a call with all zeros as the number, this is just because they forgot to set the 'apparently from number'.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/problems/tackling-nuisanc...

0 Kudos