cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tech support phone calls

Delcwood
Joining in

I have just had a phone call from someone claiming to be from tech support,saying my WiFi had been compromised. He asked me to download an app called “plangrid build field app” . At this point I became suspicious and asked him what my name was,and he hung up. Anyone else had this happen? Thanks 

3 REPLIES 3

goslow
Alessandro Volta

This was a scam call. Have a browse through the past topics on this forum and you'll find plenty of similar descriptions from others.

For future ref, VM do not make unsolicited outbound tech support calls to their customers. If you get any more such calls about VM 'detecting problems' with your connection (which you almost certainly will do) then they are all scam calls. In addition, the real VM will never ask you to download remote access software to your device, nor will they ever want to take remote control of your devices either.

Thought so,thanks for confirming

Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Delcwood,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. As @goslow has advised, a member of our technical support team would not make contact with a customer unless this has been discussed and agreed upon in advance, so you'd be aware of and expecting the call. We would also never ask you to download an app to control your equipment remotely.

If you haven't done so already, I'd advise signing up to the Telephone Preference Service to help minimise any unwanted scam calls.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!