cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suddenly getting a huge amount of spam via my vm accounts - specifically from supposed McAffee ???

Northwinds
On our wavelength

Suddenly getting a huge amount of spam via my vm accounts - specifically from supposed McAffee ???

35 REPLIES 35

Luisb
Tuning in

Same here, this has been going on for about a week. VM please update your filters....I am surprised this was not already done as the spam amount is really ridiculous, more like a denial of service attack than normal phishing.

Northwinds
On our wavelength
Yes - are yopu getting the fake McAffee expiration stuff,too?

prolecata
Tuning in

For many VM customers this has been going on for about a year. For some reason VM do not recognise as spam huge numbers of emails about Mcafee but not from a Mcafee email address. It seems a computer is generating random email addresses so VM suggestions to make rule to stop email from a particular address is not going to work as no two emails have the same address. VM could filter these emails by stopping a non Mcafee email address  but with Mcafee content from reaching you. But they don’t.

My phone instantly recognises my face as me and logs me in. VM cannot recognise these emails as spam even though you can without even opening them.

So how do we get vm to get their finger out and address this?
Is there a webpage to get support?
I'm certainly not willing to spend hours on the phone to their off shore support gremlins!

A google search about spam email about Mcafee and Norton with VM shows a large number of posts across these forums for over a year. However VM are still unable to recognise as spam emails about these companies but not from the companies email addresses. So do not expect any help.

Yes, thanks guys, now I realize this is not a new situation (but it was new to me, it felt like someone had turned on the tap, and seems like it's started to happen to others too).

I am not sure if I can post links but I found this page quite ironic https://www.mcafee.com/blogs/internet-security/phishing-email-examples-how-to-recognize-a-phishing-e...

(from the real McAfee)

Of course they are easy to recognize. The issue is how to get rid of them. Any briliant ideas? How have people been living with this for a year?

(full disclosure: I stopped giving out my old NTL email address a while back for other reasons, but it is still coming into inbox due to "legacy friends", etc)

The brilliant idea you are seeking is for VM to block all emails with Mcafee/Norton content that are not from Mcafee/Norton email addresses. Child’s play for them.
Next step is to get VM to implement it. Now there is a challenge. 

@prolecata tell me, how exactly would you define 'McAfee/Norton content', by the words, well in this one thread alone, I believe I have counted five different subtle spellings of McAfee, with double and single 'F', upper and lower case 'A', etc, does it also need to search for Mc Afee and MCAFEE or M C A F E E or M_C_A_F_E_E and all the other myriad permutations which are obviously the same to a human but completely different to a simple pattern matching algorithm.

And even if you did this, do you know all of the valid McAfee addresses, and what about users who have purchased a subscription from a reseller not directly from McAfee themselves - you'd be blocking any and all upgrade/update notifications from them to their customers.

Suddenly not quite so child's play is it?

If you type any variation of Mcafee into Google it suggests the correct spelling. This is child’s play for modern computer systems that recognise me by my phones camera including now wearing a mask.
i have looked at my emails and all these spam spell McAfee correctly. There are no subtle variations. In the past spammers used variations like putting periods, spaces, dashes etc. Modern computing detects these now and they get caught by the filters. Several years ago computers could recognise a cat from a dog photo. Computing is now way ahead of this.
Are you suggesting there is no way to recognise a spam McAfee email from a real one. An impossible task ? Beyond the wit of man? Really?

There are not lots of email addresses that Mcafee use. They do not use subtle variations.

As for people with genuine McAfee subscriptions, they would not be affected as their emails from a McAfee account would get through. Are you suggesting VM do not try to block these emails in case a genuine McAfee email does not get through?

Further I have spoken to colleagues who are not with VM, none have any of these spamming emails. I have had as many as twenty in one day. 
I do not in any accept it is impossible for VM to block these emails.