cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange call claiming to be from Virginmedia.

Anankha
Problem sorter

I’ve just had a call from an 0345 number claiming to be from Virginmedia over a reported problem with my email account - I haven’t reported a problem wit my email account.
Female Asian sounding caller who asked if I wished for her to close the ticket, I said yes then she asked for my name & whether I was the account holder. She said she’d closed the ticket & rang off.
A couple of minutes later she called back with the same question, I tried telling her she’d already called me & that the ticket was supposedly closed but she ignored me & asked to speak with the account holder as they needed to do this to close the ticket. I then hung up suspecting a scam.

My Broadband Ping - Virginmedia
5 REPLIES 5

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Does read like a scam and the miscreants have likely concluded  they are more likely to encounter customers with email issues thus improving their chance of catching them off guard. Best course of action is to hang up.

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

Ryan_N
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Anankha, 

Thank you for your post. 

I can appreciate why you would feel this way but I don't think it would be a scam/spam call. The call does sound like it was one of our IT agents looking to close a ticket which has been raised with them. Within recent weeks have you had an IT ticket raised with one of our guys or with the team at all? 

Cheers, 

Ryan. 

Not for email. I have had problems with Broadband & also I couldn’t log in to the account. 
It was the fact that she rang back a minute after phoning & didn’t acknowledge she’d previously called & went through the same spiel as before - asking if we wished to close a ticket, I’d have been more convinced the call was genuine if she’d said she’d had to call back as it required the account holder to confirm things before closing the ticket.
As yet there’s been no further calls which, had this been needed I would’ve expected.

Hi Anankha, thank you for the additional information. 

Apologies for any confusion or concern caused by the call. As you are having an issue accessing your My Virgin Media account recently it is likely the call was regarding a ticket raised for this, to ensure your access to My VM was restored. If this is the case they will have been trying to check you have access before closing the ticket as resolved. 

We can certainly send you a PM to confirm a few details and confirm if the call was from our team if you would like?

Just say the word and I will send you a PM. 

All the best!  

Molly

Thanks. Yes That would be great.