Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Spam email contining only image (or hyperlink)

I have begun to receive spam emails with no text - only a single image (which when inspected is a hyperlink). There is no means by which these can be blocked using the virgin media email message "rules" function but they are very intrusive (some of a sexual nature). My main email client doesn't block them either (Apple Mail 1995 - 2017)

I can block the image from appearing using rules - they then appear as emails with no content, with an option to delete the content. But that then means that EVERY email I receive with images requires a remote content download which is just as annoying.

I would appreciate your thoughts/help. Thank you

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Spam email contining only image (or hyperlink)

Would you be able to post the email's source text here but only after redacting personal information and offensive material from it; I will look to see if a Filter Rule can be constructed to catch these emails?

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

sender: displayed as get.hard.instantly

but actually from:  [removed]

subject: #IS The End Of____V I A G R A

to: a virgin email address, not mine

there is no text at all in the email

this is the hyperlink: [removed]

thank you

Cait8_0-1588704051370.png

sorry, ca

[MOD EDIT: Inappropriate Hyperlink removed, please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The notification of your post went straight to my Spam folder so it looks like Virgin Media are now correctly identifying these spam email. Should you receive similar emails in future move them to your Spam folder but if the problem persist then post back here and the forum community will try to help.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi

Delighted that your spam filter worked for the hyperlink. Of course, the spam emails I receive contain an image (not the hyperlink behind it which I sent to you) and they are not filtered.

Mine continue as before.

So I am looking for a way of setting up a rule that means that emails without any text in the body of the message can be junked automatically. Any ideas?

Catherine

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Sorry should have been more precise with my language. The test email used had an inline image sourced from http://ytrubnerter.diskstation.org  which at the time I believed was correctly identified as spam however on reviewing further I found if the image was embedded and sent from webmail it did not identify it as spam; so something other that the URL was likely triggering the spam filters when sending from Thunderbird.

To efficiently filter such emails would require matching text patterns within the email's source text, namely the image URL, however whilst this is easily achieved on the server it is not something webmail's Filter Rules can achieve (AFAIK).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks - if it is easy at server level do you have any ideas how I might engage with VirginMedia around this? I assume I am not the only user affected. I tried looking at ways of getting in touch with them about this without luck.

Appreciate your help

0 Kudos