cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spam Call from {removed}?

Mike_A1
On our wavelength

My wife has received several calls from this number claiming to be VM and that we are having a problem with our internet connection.  Because my wife doesn't deal with these things, she asked them to call back when I was home.  They have tried several times, but manage to get hold of a short while ago.

They advised me my internet connection had some issues, and that the hub was reporting errors back to their servers.  If followed a few simple checks, they would upgrade my hub to V5.  They asked me to go to speedtest.net and run a test, the results were where I expected them to be, but they were trying to convince me my upload speeds had an issue.  They then asked I load https://validator.w3.org/ and ask I check www.virginmedia.com and this reported back 469 errors.   Again, trying to convince me this was a problem with my hub.  They then asked me to download some software enabling them to view my router.  At this point, I mentioned we haven't been through security and can I have a VM reference number for this case.  After a lot of talking and mentioning OFCOM and telephone conversations are recorded, they hung up. 

Not convinced it was VM, my internet connection is what I expect it.

Be careful,

Mike

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Mike_A1 wrote:

Not convinced it was VM, my internet connection is what I expect it

It definitely was not VM who called you - VM never call customers out of the blue to tell them there is a problem with their broadband.

The number has been reported several times online as being used by scammers but it will have been spoofed (faked) by the scammers to hide their location and identity.

In view of that I have flagged this to the Forum Moderators to ask them to redact the full number because it may well belong to a completely innocent party.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Mike_A1 wrote:

Not convinced it was VM, my internet connection is what I expect it

It definitely was not VM who called you - VM never call customers out of the blue to tell them there is a problem with their broadband.

The number has been reported several times online as being used by scammers but it will have been spoofed (faked) by the scammers to hide their location and identity.

In view of that I have flagged this to the Forum Moderators to ask them to redact the full number because it may well belong to a completely innocent party.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Mike_A1 wrote:

My wife has received several calls from this number claiming to be VM and that we are having a problem with our internet connection.  Because my wife doesn't deal with these things, she asked them to call back when I was home.  They have tried several times, but manage to get hold of a short while ago.

<snip>

Hopefully, during this exchange, you did not actually install any remote access software and allow the scammers to take control of your device.

Mike_A1
On our wavelength

Hi Goslow,

No software was installed during this little exchange.  Alarm bells were ringing from the start, but thought I would play along for a bit.

Mike

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Mike_A1 wrote:

Hi Goslow,

No software was installed during this little exchange.  Alarm bells were ringing from the start, but thought I would play along for a bit.

Mike

Glad to hear that!

Hey @Mike_A1,

Welcome back to the community and thanks for taking the time to post.

I'm really sorry to hear that you and your wife have been called by a person pretending to be from Virgin Media but really glad that no information was given out to them.

We do have some ways to help deal with the aftermath as such calls and they can be found here but if the number calling is a legitimate number there is not much that can be done to stop the calls from happening altogether.

Regards,

Steven_L