cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Signed up in the wrong name

samanthaH2022
Joining in

Well I didn't want to do this but people need to be aware. I have never in my life been so angry and disappointed in a service. So last November I tried to sign up to virgin media but due to an outstanding debt I couldn't, I agreed to pay the debt in full after 2 weeks, everyone was happy with this. A few days later a agent rings me from virgin media, I explained once I've paid my debt I can sign up, he tells me that it's OK he get the debt wrote off its fine. So yes I was happy, virgin is the only company that offers the speeds I need. So a few months later I realised I had no bills or northing in correspondence from virgin. I was waiting for my account number to sign in online. I then get a letter from virgin mobile offering me a contract mobile but the name on the letter was Samuel Howe, my name is Samantha [REMOVED]. I asked virgin Mobile where they got this name from, they said virgin media. I then called virgin media to be told my name, email, phone number were all wrong. The email I'd never heard of, the name is a man and to add insult to injury my phone password had been set up but how because it wasn't me! I made endless phone calls to be passed from one to another, I've sent emails and got nothing. Is sent a letter to head office last week as I need this sorting and then all of a sudden no broadband, no warning, no letter, no nothing! Just cut me off. 26 members of staff I spoke to the other day and only 2 of them tried to help, the lengths the call centre staff go through to avoid your questions is unbelievable. The fraud department cut me off. No one can turn it back on, so now in 4 days I've spent 70 quid on data because I have 3 kids and a husband that's a student and likes his xbox which does not work without Internet. So through the whole of this traumatic experience I have been asked to provide my driving licence and marriage certificate to change my name, this wasn't good enough, then they asked for my deed pole information from when I was a man!!! Come on for God sake I've never been a man! I am a woman! Always have been always will be. So now 4 days with no broadband and still no answers to what's happening. I get told the fraud team will call you, have they? NO! I figured I'd try and sign up in my name, but no declined because of the situation, so I decide to go to sky and guess what nope because virgin are still showing as my supplier. They have left me in a mess knowing full well my situation. I now have 2 kids off school isolating next week and I can't buy more data it's expensive but the point been I shouldn't have to waste my money! Spending that extra has a knock on effect with my other bills. I have been treated like I did this but no I didn't do this the agent that signed me up purposly put the wrong details in so I wouldn't fail the credit check for my debt to get his commission, well congratulations to that idiot you have well and truly caused a very stressful situation that could of been avoided. I hope you loose your job and get done for fraud! Now I've had my rant on here because no one else listens, now everyone can listen!!!!! Ever seen the simpsons episode where Mr burns forgets homers name well that's what my life's been like talking to virgin media. Can I speak to the account holder? I am the account holder! I'm done 😢 

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

I would hope that the forum staff can get this resolved promptly, and that is your quickest and easiest approach, but you should ask for and expect a generous ex-gratia payment (or account credit) for the hassle and nuisance. 

It is worth noting that VM have opened a credit agreement without making any effective checks on identity, so they're in breach of a whole range of financial services regulation and data protection rules.  Ordinarily complaints about VM go to the telecoms arbitration service CISAS, given this centres on identity, accurate processing of data, and credit agreements, if you choose to take this for independent resolution, then the Financial Ombudsman may be the place to go.  Whether with CISAS or Financial Ombudsman, you'll need to formally complaint to VM first - don't have high expectations of that getting a good outcome, but you normally can't have a complaint arbitrated unless the company have been given a formal chance to resolve the matter beforehand, although you are not bound to accept any offered settlement, and it doesn't matter if they lose, fumble or ignore the complaint.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

2 REPLIES 2

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

I would hope that the forum staff can get this resolved promptly, and that is your quickest and easiest approach, but you should ask for and expect a generous ex-gratia payment (or account credit) for the hassle and nuisance. 

It is worth noting that VM have opened a credit agreement without making any effective checks on identity, so they're in breach of a whole range of financial services regulation and data protection rules.  Ordinarily complaints about VM go to the telecoms arbitration service CISAS, given this centres on identity, accurate processing of data, and credit agreements, if you choose to take this for independent resolution, then the Financial Ombudsman may be the place to go.  Whether with CISAS or Financial Ombudsman, you'll need to formally complaint to VM first - don't have high expectations of that getting a good outcome, but you normally can't have a complaint arbitrated unless the company have been given a formal chance to resolve the matter beforehand, although you are not bound to accept any offered settlement, and it doesn't matter if they lose, fumble or ignore the complaint.

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi samanthaH2022

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community.

I am so sorry to hear of this allegation and will be happy to assist you in getting this matter resolved.

I'll send you a PM now

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill