cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Security and Fraud?

pelson
Tuning in

I just spoke to Virgin Broadband using the help number 0345 454 1111- about my broadband speed. Ended speaking to someone who has (supposedly) reported the problem and sent an engine out being as others were having issues. however my main concern is that he signed my up for a new faster package at no extra cost but had me confirm my bank account details for the new package. Is this safe, given that I called them and they didn't call me?

I am very worried 😞 I am nearly 80 and not tech savy at all

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@pelson wrote:

Yes they did put forward the new package as a way of solving Broadband speed issues. However, he did absolutely assure me that it wouldn't cost any more than I am currently paying. Will definitely keep an eye on that. Thanks for your response 🙂

Have a look in 'My Virgin Media' and see if it shows any updated info on what your package/contract now involves and what you are going to be paying.

Also, depending on what the nature of your connection problem is, simply upping the package speed won't necessarily fix that. So also see if your broadband issues improve as a result of the package change.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

11 REPLIES 11

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Can't help with whether VM would require bank info for a package change (can't think why they would need that info but someone else will hopefully advise on that) but ...

Did you actually want to sign up for an increase in speed or a package change when you called?

Did the person on the phone put forward this package speed increase as a way of solving your broadband connection problem?

There have been past mentions on here where VM staff on the phone have incorrectly tried to push a speed increase onto the customer as a means of solving a technical problem. I would also keep an eye on your billing/VM payments to confirm that this free upgrade does actually turn out to be free.

One of the official VM forum staff (VM employees) will reply here within a day or two and will be able to advise on your account.

Travis_M
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @pelson

Thanks for posting on our community forum!

When you say confirming your bank account details, did they ask for your banking sort code? This can be one of our security questions and may of been asked as part of the data protection act.

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Yes they did put forward the new package as a way of solving Broadband speed issues. However, he did absolutely assure me that it wouldn't cost any more than I am currently paying. Will definitely keep an eye on that. Thanks for your response 🙂

Hi Travis, not my sort code my actual bank account number, he gave me the last 4 digits and then asked me to confirm the first 4 digits, but I now realise that sometimes you can see account code ending in the last 4 digits with the rest of the numbers shown as asterisks. I am extremely worried now. But as I said, I called the 0345 454 1111 number they did not call me. Help 😞

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@pelson wrote:

Have a look in 'My Virgin Media' and see if it shows any updated info on what your package/contract now involves and what you are going to be paying.

Also, depending on what the nature of your connection problem is, simply upping the package speed won't necessarily fix that. So also see if your broadband issues improve as a result of the package change.

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

also be aware that by changing your package even though the price may not change it will start a new contract - if you dont want that then you have 14 days to cancel

the whole thing stinks of offshore who seem to be hell bent on upgrading customers - they will even try to do it rather than accept cancellation

as said keep your eye on your account - its a sad fact offshore lie - they will tell you one thing and then do whatever they want so a stated free upgrade may be nothing of the sort

as to bank details - if you gave your account number and sort code or even a card number without other info like the end date on your card or the 3 digit security number from the back of the card theres very little they can do with the info

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Hi there @pelson 

Thank you for updating us! I'd be more than happy to take a look into this further with you if you would like, just to make sure the package you're on is suitable etc

If you would like me to, let me know and I'll pop you a PM no problem! 

Thanks again.

Hi Ash,

I am feeling a little confused by this whole situation to be honest. I initially called because my broadband was so slow. I did some speed tests and was getting an upload speed in single digits. I then followed some diagnostic tests suggested by the virgin help website and there was no difference.

When I phoned the 0345 454 1111 number I spoke to someone who promised to help, he mentioned that there were some local issues and an engineer was going to be looking at the local cabinet (?) to fix things. He also ended up signing me up to a new package which would be the sign price as my existing one but included super fast broadband download speeds of 300+mbps, a whole raft of additional channels on my tv and and O2 sim card (??)

I have tested my broadband speed this morning and the test tells me I am getting download speed of 89.6 mbps which is a lot better than I was doing before but certainly not 300 mbps.

My new sim arrived this morning and I also got an email saying that my bill for O2 was £10.

I am nearly 80 and this is very confusing for me.

I would really appreciate your help. Thanks so much

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

wait for @Ashleigh_C but it seems to me you have suffered the push from offshore to sell you all sorts you do not need and forget to mention that it would actually cost you money - not sure how they have sold you the 300package as there is not one - 350 would be the nearest

let @Ashleigh_C try and sort out the mess that is the stuff they have sold you - be careful as you only have 14 days to cancel so you really need to be doing that now

dial 150 or 0345 454 1111 and follow the prompts to - 'thinking of leaving us' - dont worry about that they do much more - open 8am -10pm 7 days a week - should take you to a UK call centre

theres a freephone number 0800 052 0422. You need option 4 to speak to retentions

as to the slow speeds post some info and you will get help - how are you testing wired or wifi - what device are you testing on

Tony.
Sacked VIP