Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Security Alert Letter

I have received a letter saying that my late husband's email account may have been compromised on 26th April. Before he died he was in charge of all things regarding the internet and for that reason plus I am partially sighted I would value some one to actually speak to me about what I can do about the issue rather than trying to plough through FAQ's. Please could someone contact me direct?

Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Re: Security Alert Letter

Hi pho77, 

Welcome to the Community and thank you for posting. 

I am very sorry to hear you have received an email advising the email address has been compromised. 

So that I can look in to this further can you please can you confirm if the email came directly from us? Does it details how the address has been compromised?

Thank you 

Nat
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Hello Nat

It isn't an email - it is a letter. Reference number VMIS102.

Regards

Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Hi there @pjo77

Sorry about any confusion - we have been contacting customers directly if an email address linked to their account has been compromised - the letter will advise how to reset the password in order to secure the email address once again. 

Do you still have an active Virgin Media account with us? 

Thank you

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Yes I have an active account. Since my husband's death six months ago all bills come to me. The security letter also came addressed to me with the account number.  Is there something amiss with records at Virginmedia? 

I have spent over half an hour trying to get through on the phone plus several hours trying to figure out what is going on by reading FQA's and sending help  requests. I am now the proud owner of  badges for registering on the site, posting and replying but I am still as lost and worried as when the letter arrived.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Received a letter about a compromised email address, I can't reset the password or access the email. the reference number is VM1S102
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 32
Flag for a moderator

I do apologise if we have worried you in any way - what is concerning you and we'll do all we can to alleviate your fears. 

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 8 of 32
Flag for a moderator

I cannot change the password of my husband's email address either because it asks security questions which I cannot ask him for because my husband is dead. I need access as some things are still linked to his address.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for popping along to our Community and for your first post on this customers thread @Kaillhaywood

What seems to be the issue when you try and reset the password following the instructions within the letter? 

Katie - Forum Team

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply there @pjo77

The security questions will relate to the account so you should be able to answer these - what happens when you try? 

Katie - Forum Team

0 Kudos