cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scam

Rich12
Dialled in

hi, just had phone call apparently off vm saying my internet is being used abroad, mmm ok, so i asked him what do i do to rectify the problem, he asked if anybody else has our p/w for the internet, no i replied he then started his lies but i stopped him there and told him one of my white lies, well i am a vm engineer and this is were you put the phone down, and he did.

Phone number he called off is [MOD EDIT: PERSONAL INFORMATION REMOVED]

I knew was a scam, 1st did not know my name, 2nd, no security check, and i don't think vm would call you and jump straight in to why they called you, without the above done 1st.

Hope this helps anybody out who may get one of these scam calls, please remember if you have any doubts put the phone and don't pass on any kind of personal details.

Thankyou.

Rich

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

ALF28
Super solver

Scam cold calls to VM landline.

Thanks for the scam warning, it is good advice not to give out any data to an unknown cold caller.

I also have had many of these scam calls with no security checks, they are just random calls by scammers.

Usually, the displayed caller number will not be a genuine number and not traceable, usually unknown phone numbers. (VoIP generated)

Alos these calls may be from outside of the UK with foreign accents being a giveaway, but as VM do use call centres outside of the UK, so this can be a genuine on some occasions, but VM use specific phone numbers.

The caller number can be checked on the web site who called me.

alf28

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Rich12, thanks for posting and welcome back to our community.

Thanks for reaching out to your fellow community members and try to protect them.  I will feedback the details of how your call went.  Remember, if you ever need assistance in the future, our fantastic community and forum team are always willing to lend a hand. Also, please bear in mind that our website offers lots of helpful information and also, you can manage your account from here.

Regards

Lee_R

ALF28
Super solver

Scam cold calls to VM landline.

Thanks for the scam warning, it is good advice not to give out any data to an unknown cold caller.

I also have had many of these scam calls with no security checks, they are just random calls by scammers.

Usually, the displayed caller number will not be a genuine number and not traceable, usually unknown phone numbers. (VoIP generated)

Alos these calls may be from outside of the UK with foreign accents being a giveaway, but as VM do use call centres outside of the UK, so this can be a genuine on some occasions, but VM use specific phone numbers.

The caller number can be checked on the web site who called me.

alf28

Hey ALF28, no problem at all. We are aware of these scam calls and we do our best to get them shut down, however they are very clever with it.

If you are always stuck on a number simply put it into Google and you can also see if its been reported as a scam call.

If you do get any more future calls, please feel free to pop back and we can take a look into these to see if they are genuine or not.

However if you do have any suspicions, it's always best to just hang up and call us on 0345 454 1111. Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

adhiren
Dialled in

I just had one now on my virgin landline! Is there a formal way to report this? 

Hi try this number 0345 454 1111

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@adhiren wrote:

I just had one now on my virgin landline! Is there a formal way to report this? 

You can report them, but all it will do is add to the growing mountain of complaints. The fact is our old landline system is past its sell-by date. Telephone companies know this & there is a target of 2025 to remove all the old PSTN lines & exchanges & replace them with internet phones that plug into your hub. All the internet security systems can then come into play & stop most of these calls before they even ring your phone.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi @adhiren,

Welcome to our community forums and thank you for your first post. 

Sorry to hear you experienced this scam call. Just to confirm, were any details given on the call? You may find the following link useful https://www.virginmedia.com/help/fraudulent-calls

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs