cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scam

Mike0070
Just joined

I am with SKY but received a call this morning from 'Virgin' asking to download 'Teamviewer' app. as they have malicious haking via Virgin, call came form [removed]

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

4 REPLIES 4

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Mike0070, thanks for your post although I'm sorry to hear you received this call.

I'm guessing a lot of information has been removed from your post, due to our Moderators noticing that you've provided some of your personal details in a public thread.

However, I can say with certainty that Virgin Media does not call up non-existing customers (or even existing ones) and asks them to download Teamviewer.

Teamviewer is an app that allows the user to gain remote access of a device such as your laptop for example, and scammers use this to try and hack into your personal details.

I'm unsure how far you got with allowing them into your personal devices, but I'd recommend running an anti-virus software scan throughout those affected, just in case!

I'd also recommend viewing this link for further support on dealing with fraduluent calls.

I hope this helps

Regards

Tom_W

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Scam numbers are removed from posts as many of these are clones of genuine residential or business numbers. This has lead to innocent parties getting irate & abusive calls from people who think they are scammers.

If your number was originally a Virgin landline number the scammers just assume you are still a Virgin customer as your landline is still “owned” by Virgin even if it is ported out.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Nuttydad
Just joined

I’ve just had a call from someone [REMOVED] says that I need to download TeamViewer. As there’s an issue and error code with my virgin media. The guy guided me through with getting connected and started going though what I needed to do to correct the problem.  Half way through I came to this page and saw peoples posts about this spam. Spoke to the guy that this isn’t really anything to do with Virgin, where he stated that if I don’t carry on the process he would have to discount my internet!! I then said “ go on then” he Promptly hung up.  

PLEASE BEWARE OF THIS!!!   SCAM………..

[MOD EDIT: Information has been removed from this post.  Please review the Forum Guidelines]

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Nuttudad, thanks for your post and welcome to the community.

So sorry to hear you have received a scam call pretending to be from our team, please be advised we would never ask you to download TeamViewer so they can see into your equipment and services.

As some of the information you provided on this post has now been removed from the thread as it can be viewed in public, we do not have clear how far you went with this process with them on the call.
In any case, we would strongly recommend you to do the following:
a) uninstall TeamViewer and any other software that has been downloaded for this purpose / on that call.
b) scan your devices for viruses and malware, just to make sure there is nothing running in the background that could compromise your personal information and passwords
c) report to the police and/or your bank in case you have shared sensitive info with the caller such as bank account details etc.

Please, have a read here and find all the advice and useful info we hold in regard to bogus calls.
Let us know if the above has been of help, feel free to ask if you have more questions or concerns - happy to help.

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs