cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scam sales call?

Stevekphillips
Joining in

Hi everyone, I’ve been receiving calls from either +44 20 7059 4000 or +44 800 408 9340 on a daily basis and reportedly coming from Virgin Media. I picked up one of these calls and they wanted to talk about upgrading my phone. 

Is this a scam call? They’re calling unsolicited and asking for my personal details to verify me at which point I end the call as Virgin have not got in touch in any other way. 

Many thanks

Steve

9 REPLIES 9

Nathan_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi there @Stevekphillips, welcome to our forum and thanks for your post.

We do have some outbound retentions team who will call regarding upgrading at times however, the numbers do not look like numbers the team would use.

If you get any calls like this in future and are ever unsure it would be best to ask the team to note your account to advise they have called you and what is was about. Then if you call the team, they can then verify that this was a genuine call.

If you have any further questions, please let us know. We will be happy to help.

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

If these numbers are not legitimate Virgin Media numbers then you should really look into this. I’ve never had a call from one of these numbers before. I cancelled my service with you yesterday and today I get a call from one of these numbers.

If VM is not using these numbers for legitimate customer retention then there is definitely a scam going on involving members of your staff. How else would they know that I cancelled my VM service and where would they have got my info?

Your outsourced customer support/sales teams are atrocious, it wouldn’t surprise me at all if they are running scams on the side.

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Svc10_CustExp0,

Thanks for your psot and welcome to the community.

Many apologies for the issues faced, were you also receiving calls from the same number?

Regards,

Kain

PorterOldSlug
Joining in

I cancelled yesterday because there are much better offers on the market with actual fixed contracts without mid contract price rises.

Surprise surprise I get a phone call from retentions on this number which 'who called me' has the below to say about the number

"The overall rating is Negative. There have been 172,424 phone lookups, and users have left 980 comments.

0800 408 9340 is a freephone number operated by Virgin Media Limited"

I'd recommend making a complaint to the ICO here like I have https://ico.org.uk/make-a-complaint/

Had exactly the same issue when I changed utility companies earlier in the year

Adding to this. Add 020 3743 6946 to the 'block list'

Also reported to ICO

I agree mate, cancelled mine a few days ago and this number 0800 408 9340 called me, stating they are outbound sales team and would reduce my contract but was not much difference to what i was offered by customer support upon cancelling. 

I41
Just joined

I think it's disgusting that a VM forum them member is denying that this is a VM phone number.

Of course it is , every report of this number flows back to VM .

I cancelled yesterday (after lots of blood and sweat) , and today I received a call from the same number. 

I answered and the caller just hung up on me .

I suppose it's one method that VM use to manipulate their figures.

I'm getting G Network installed soon, I will NEVER EVER go back to VM.

And I bet VM try to screw me again by billing me for their equipment.

Hi l41 👋 Welcome to community! Thank you for joining this thread. 

Sorry to hear you have recently cancelled, and too have received an unwanted call. You can update your marketing preferences via My VM 👉  https://virg.in/myvmapp in your 'Account settings' section. 

If you do have any issues with your final billing or equipment returns please do get back in touch to let us know, and we can send you a PM to confirm a few account details and offer further support if needed. 

Hopefully the remainder of your time with us goes smoothly 🤞 but we are here to help if needed! 

Wishing you all the best. 🌞

Molly

roryharvey
Tuning in

This is Virgin. Several spam calls in the space of a 24 hour period.