cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scam or not?

Teacher009
Joining in

Hi, one of my students has come to me asking for help and I'm pretty lost.

He says he's been with Virgin since 2018, but he received an apple ipad in the post. He received a call from Virgin saying that they'd delivered it to the wrong address and it was meant to go next door, and offered him discounts etc if he returned the parcel, which he did. 

However the conversation was over Whatsapp which I thought was strange, and even though it was from a 'Bruce Williams', the grammar and spelling was a bit off in some places.

He just showed me a whole load of emails apparently from virgin, but I noticed the emails were mail@virginmedias.co.uk and webteam@virginmedia.co.uk and thanks@virginmobile.com 

His English is very limited and I'm super confused, can anyone tell me if he's being scammed or not?

Thank you!

4 REPLIES 4

Anonymous
Not applicable

Total scam, he may find the iPad was billed to his address and he'll be responsible when the recipient defaults on payment/contract.

If he knows where it was delivered from (Virgin, cpw, o2 etc - check packaging) reach out and let them know before it escalates to a default

Ryan_N
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Teacher009, 

Thank you for reaching out to us with this. 

I wouldn't 100% say this was a scam - as we do have a team on WhatsApp, I just wouldn't like to rule it out. As you can appreciate it is quite difficult for us here to look into this as we would need to speak with the account holder and we would be able to double check everything from this side. It doesn't sound like something that would happen - but again, it's not a 100% confirmation that's the case. Is there any possibility you could help them set up a profile on the forums and then we would be able to private message them to help - that wouldn't be a problem at all. 

Cheers, 

Ryan.  

Hi Ryan,

Yes, I'd be happy to do that. Would anyone be able to contact him who knows Arabic? That might make things a lot easier. 

Ryan_N
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Unfortunately it's not something that is possible - I can really feel how much you are trying to help as well. 

What I will do is send you over a private message, as I have an idea on how we can get this resolved. 

Cheers, 

Ryan.