cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scam numbers?

hcatron08
Joining in

Hi, can anyone help me? I’ve been getting calls from 0800 183 6xx repeated at least twenty times a day claiming to be virgin media. 

I don’t answer anymore but it’s starting to get very annoying.

Can someone tell me if this is a virgin certified number and/or how I can report it? 

[MOD EDIT: number edited in case it's an innocent number being spoofed]

6 REPLIES 6

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Unfortunately, you cannot tell anything from the caller ID alone as it could be easily faked. These 0800 VM numbers are mentioned regularly on the forums. Sometimes investigations show the callers to be real, sometimes fake. You will note the VM forum mod's have removed the number in case of spoofing.

The fact that they are calling you 20 times a day suggests it is probably not VM.

Have you logged into 'My Virgin Media' and removed the marketing contact options? Are you also signed up with TPS to opt out of live sales and marketing calls?

If you have done those two things and are still getting the calls then it is not VM. The opt-out process may take some time before it is consistently applied (28 days?).

How are they contacting you, landline or mobile? Have you got any options to block the number?

Sasha_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @hcatron08

Welcome to the forum page and thanks for posting this on here. 

Sorry to hear you're having some issues with spam calls 

What's the last digits of the phone number? 

What are they also calling about as we would be able to confirm whether this is a spam call or not? 

Please do let us know. 

Thanks 

Sasha - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Hi, thanks for your reply. 

The last digits are 6416 - a woman answers who wants to talk about upgrading your contract but (unlike previous legitimate virgin callers) the background sounds and her intrusive questions feel a bit off ? 

If you could confirm or not that would be great? 

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@hcatron08 wrote:

The last digits are 6416 - a woman answers who wants to talk about upgrading your contract but (unlike previous legitimate virgin callers) the background sounds and her intrusive questions feel a bit off ? 

If you could confirm or not that would be great? 

That number has come up on here before as a number that VM sales team uses, see posts 10 and 11 here https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/Scam-phone-calls/td-p/4503085/page/2      but......... as @goslow has already said, the number you see in caller display cannot be used to validate that the caller is genuine.

Scammers always spoof (falsify) the number they appear to be calling from and if they are claiming to be from VM it makes sense that they would use a genuine VM number. So in truth no-one can confirm that your call was definitely genuine.

To be honest, you did the right thing in not engaging with them.

if you are not expecting a call from Virgin Media it should be treated as if it is a scam. Never give any personal details away and do not take anything they say at face value.

It seems that VM do use overseas companies to make marketing calls but that does not mean that all such calls are genuine even if the number is a VM number.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for coming back to us. 

That dose seem to be a legitimate virgin media number. 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

goslow
Alessandro Volta

The forum archive contains a further 7 pages of irritation about this number going back several years (as well as other mentions on the forum)

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/0800-183-6416/td-p/3543584

and a selection of opinions on this number lookup service

https://who-called.co.uk/Number/08001836416

Anyone who gives out personal/security info during an inbound call from this number must also like a bit of risk and gamble in their lives!