cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scam e mail?

PG29
Joining in

I have received this e mail message: is it a scam? Has my e mail been hacked?

Dear User,

Account validation is required to eliminate the recent  phishing and spamming activities going on in our Virgin Media Emails .

LINK REMOVED

NOTE: AUTOMATIC ACCOUNT DEACTIVATION WITHIN 48 HOURS

From [MOD EDIT: REMOVED]

webteam@virginmedia.com<webteam@virginmedia.com>

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

2 REPLIES 2

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Yes it is a phishing email as flagged by @Int-Sec here Latest Phishing News 20/07/2021 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@PG29 wrote:

1) is it a scam?

2) Has my e mail been hacked?

1)   It  certainly is. It is a very familiar type and there have been many similar examples with slightly different wording over the years targeting many of the main email providers.

See Email 2 in this link for a similar version https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/Latest-Phishing-News-20-07-2021/m-p/4776480 

2)   Put it this way, the scammers who sent that email did not need to hack your account in order to send you that email.  The danger lies in using the link in the message (the one the moderators have removed from your post) to enter your Virgin Media account credentials. Obviously if you had done that the scammer would now be able to access your account at their leisure. 😟

Coenoby

Sorry @用心棒 beat me by seconds.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks