cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scam calls

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Just wanted to let everyone know that we have had 4 scam calls today from  reportedly Virgin with an Asian woman saying we are having lots of errors and we need to check notifications however she said we will need to send engineer to sort the router none of this sounded right to us but this is the phone number these pathetic People called from 0208352xxxx

We are sure this is a scam

[MOD EDIT: number edited in case it's an innocent number being spoofed]

5 REPLIES 5

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Yes, these were scam calls. Suggestions for screening the calls, given after your past post in May, can be highly effective in dealing with the automated scammers.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Community-Natter/Scam-calls-and-blocking/m-p/4722753

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The number you were called from has been cloned from another Virgin Media customer in London, that will have nothing to do with the scam. I have asked for it to be removed as it is therefore private information. Scammers very commonly clone other numbers to make you think they are calling from inside the UK.

As per another customer that posted today:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/Repeated-calls-from-return-callers/m-p/4761570#M1552...

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

A quick update I've had another 2 calls this morning from these pathetic scumbags the first one who called himself Peter an odd name for an Asian started talk about our internet connection I said nothing was wrong and he hung up then about an hour later Jack phoned again an odd name for an Asian I said straight out I dont like you scammers he said I'm not a scammer then in the same sentence said do you have proof I said yes and he hung up however I have learnt that there is a simple way to stop these *******s have a whistle by the phone and blow as hard as you can down the phone its time something was done to stop these scumbags

Hi offrocker1,

Thanks for posting on our community forums. There is nothing worse than nuisance calls, we appreciate you bringing this to our attention, as we would never call asking our customers for their details regarding any broadband issues. Please check the link here on how to try and prevent these calls.

We have also included a further link here to try and prevent these from happening for the future.

Kind regards Jodi. 

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Anonymous wrote:

I have learnt that there is a simple way to stop these *******s have a whistle by the phone and blow as hard as you can down the phone its time something was done to stop these scumbags

I would be careful taking any action to aggravate them. This is why:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/Spam-call-showing-local-number-then-lots-of-calls/m-p/4562919/highlight/true#M146503 

The scammers are operating out of India (for the most part) & are using modern technology to access our antiquated analogue telephone system which is not capable of any end-to-end security checks. When telephone DSO happens in 2025 then both ends of the call can be secured & these fake calls can be far more visible to the system & the end user.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks