Menu
Michael141
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Scam call

Hi,

New to the forum. I thought I would try here and opposed to blocking the phone lines in these busy times.

Picked up a call yesterday which was a recorded message saying isp provider was going to disconnect my broadband services in 48 hours, I think?. It did not listen to the rest. I clicked the phone off. I hit no other buttons.

Reading some of the posts on the forum it appears I did the right thing and it appears to the be a definite scam approach?

thanks

0 Kudos
goslow
Well-informed
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Scam call

You correctly spotted the scam and also responded correctly by hanging up immediately. Just one of many variants with aims which include identity theft, gaining access to your computer, gaining access to your online banking, getting you to connect to a premium phone service etc. etc.

Further advice below from the government National Cyber Security Centre

https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/guidance/suspicious-email-actions

0 Kudos
Tudor
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

I always try to keep the line open for as long as possible, of course not pressings any keys, so at least that line is busy and it might cut down the number of call that they can make. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
Anankha
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Yep scam call certainly. They often never mention a specific ISP although sometimes the automated call does mention BT.

I listen to the scam then put the phone down.

0 Kudos