cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scam call

Patricia1946
Tuning in

Hi got a phone call this morning saying they where from virgin  media saying they are upgrading my broadband speed but there was a fault with the router,and I need fix this through my computer. ALARM BELLS  starting going off i challenged them ask for the account name registered to this address they got it wrong ,put phone down straight away 

Number was 0289590xxxx

[MOD EDIT: number edited in case it's an innocent number being spoofed]

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Definitely a miscreant trying to benefit from this recent announcement Speed boost for Virgin Media customers | Virgin to gain your trust and execute their scam — good to read that you were alert to the threat and hung up.

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

Patricia1946
Tuning in

Hi got a call today claiming to be from virgin media about upgrading my broadband speed but needed to be done through my computer my alarm bells went off . I challenged him and asked what's the name off the account for this address he got it wrong I hung up and blocked number .

Number was [REMOVED] is this a legit virgin media number they where very convincing until they asked about computer. 

[MOD EDIT: Private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Definitely a miscreant trying to benefit from this recent announcement Speed boost for Virgin Media customers | Virgin to gain your trust and execute their scam — good to read that you were alert to the threat and hung up.

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I have asked for the number in the first post to be removed as it is cloned from a innocent user in Belfast that has nothing to do with the scam.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I was just highlighting that the scammers are using this number and it's not a legit virgin media number any way was just making you aware of it .

Thanks 

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Patricia1946 wrote:

I was just highlighting that the scammers are using this number and it's not a legit virgin media number any way was just making you aware of it .

Thanks 

It may seem fussy to you, but as a cloned number it is someone elses private information that is posted on a public forum. Not only is it against forum rules, it could lead to the innocent party getting malicious calls.

Much like your car number being cloned & then plastered all over the internet related criminal activity.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Chris_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Patricia1946, thanks for the message and welcome back to the forums. I am sorry to hear that you have received such a call and we would always contact via the 0345 454 1111 number and would never ask you to access your computer. Thanks for making us aware and stay safe. ^Chris.