cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scam call

Chewie30
On our wavelength

I've just recieved a call from [MOD EDIT: REMOVED] claiming to be Virgin Media saying they've noticed issues with my broadband speed and wanted access to my PC. When I told them I knew they were a scammer they hung up. The person calling was female and sounded Asian is origin as did her collegues in the background.

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

7 REPLIES 7

goslow
Alessandro Volta

You should avoid posting up the phone numbers of these scams calls on a public forum as there is not really much point in doing so. They are either fake, and do not exist, or they are increasingly using numbers copied from real businesses or private individuals who are unconnected with the scammers.

Chewie30
On our wavelength

I understand however it allows others to be aware of the number when it shows up in their caller ID and allows Virgin to watch for that number being used on their network. 

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Unfortunately, neither of those things are likely to be of much use.

The number appears to be from a valid block of numbers allocated to VM in the Aldershot area. If it is a cloned real number, VM won't be 'watching for it' being used anywhere as it would belong to a legitimate phone user.

The fake number, in all likelihood, will remain in use for a very short period of time before being swapped for another faked/cloned number so the usefulness of the information is minimal among the millions of other number possibilities.

If it is a cloned real number, belonging to a real individual or business, then sharing it and claiming it is a scam number on a public forum leaves the real owner of the number open to receiving abusive calls or receiving scam calls themselves.

Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Chewie30,

Welcome to our Community Forums and thanks for posting.

Sorry you've received a scam call- we'd never make ay unsolicited service calls in this way. 

We have some tips here on how to handle these types of calls. 

Thanks for remaining vigilant!

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

SH3user
Superfast

Usual fake VM call but from a 0049 (Germany) fake number. They have faked the real number for FEDEX Germany.

Tigerlily1
Joining in

I have just had a scam call from Indian gentleman (!?) high speed talk with noisy background obviously lots of others busily scamming too - I have had soo many of these my heart sinks every time my landline rings!  I told him calmly that I wasn’t interested and I suspected a scam as I have had so many of them.  All I got was a stream of abuse and foul language - I was really shocked - hate to think how he treats his wife/partner.  They are truly taking things to a new low -  nasty!  So I can sympathise with you. 

Thank you for your first post to our community forums and welcome to the team @Tigerlily1

We are so sorry to hear that you have also been effected by one of these calls and thank you for bringing it to our attention. 

You can find our help pages on how to deal with calls of this nature online here. 

Thanks again.