Menu
Highlighted
Superuser
Superuser
Message 1 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Scam call supposedly from BT technical department.

Called from 01243136473 & stated they were BT, I stated we weren’t with them & they said that BT were behind all the ISPs.
Asked my to turn on my device which would take 5-10 minutes (??), I told them I only had an iPad. They then disconnected the call.

Virginia/Anankha. If I have helped please give me Kudos.
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Re: Scam call supposedly from BT technical department.

Good Morning Anankha,

Thanks for your post and for bringing this to our attention.

As with all calls that customers receive and feel uncertain about, we do advise them not to co-operate.

Virgin Media will always run data protection with it's customers before talking to the customer specifically about their account, if data protection is not ran, this is a tell tale sign of a scam call

David_Bn  

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 25
Flag for a moderator

@David_Bn wrote:

Good Morning Anankha,

Thanks for your post and for bringing this to our attention.

As with all calls that customers receive and feel uncertain about, we do advise them not to co-operate.

Virgin Media will always run data protection with it's customers before talking to the customer specifically about their account, if data protection is not ran, this is a tell tale sign of a scam call

David_Bn  

Thanks David, I can spot a scam call a mile off as it’s clear they’re reading from a script, they usually ask you to open event viewer & point out all the red errors & state these are due to malware &/or problems on your PC. They’ll then want you to download team-viewer or their own software in order to access your PC, if allowed they’ll most likely add malware then charge the user for removal or worse leave them & call back after a few days & charge them further to remove their own malware, or they may just add several free programs & charge you for these instead.

I’ve never been scammed but have read many stories from those who have & they’re often very similar in details.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Anankha for posting this to help other users be more aware on Scam Calls and how they operate.

Regards,

Lisa_CC

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 25
Flag for a moderator

but wheres the fun in the call only lasting a minute or so - best i have done is about 45 minutes before the caller gave up - passed up the line a couple of times - the initial caller is as you say reading from a script but when they think they have hooked you they pass you on - if that goes well then its to the agent to try and get some money out of you 

the language at the end when they realised i was scamming them - i never knew that about my father and what my mother had got up to was interesting

you dont need to know about scam calls - they really are clueless - i am from BT or openreach sort of gives it away - i guess there are VM users who do not realise its not all BT but there cannot be many

the better ones are those from 'Microsoft' - they are rar better trained

Tony
MrHalfAsleep
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 25
Flag for a moderator

The best ones are those that state that "your IP address has been compromised by several countries".Smiley Very Happy

Stay safe folks and ignore them.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=scam+calls+uk

Although outside the UK, Kitboga's stuff is really funny.  He plays them off against each other.

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
Windows Update isn't rocket science - if it were, it would work.
Unlike Monty Python, spam is never off.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 25
Flag for a moderator

I bet there’s some fair tales to be heard on how to keep them trying the scam for 45 minutes -tony-. Smiley Happy

I usually try to feign ignorance or say I can’t understand them so I get passed on to a ‘next level’ supervisor. I end up telling them I know it’s a scam & that I know what they’re going to ask me to do. I find it funny when they deny they’re trying to scam me.

spell
Well-informed
Message 8 of 25
Flag for a moderator

@David_Bn wrote:

Good Morning Anankha

The most stupid scam is a cold  caller claiming to be from Virgin Media and asking for details from the customers security code.

jamesofmerton
Knows their stuff
Message 9 of 25
Flag for a moderator

i deal with this nonsense most days anankha. they now use uni students on gap years to make some calls. having an english person at the end of line is catching more out.
DaemonicShaman
Joining in
Message 10 of 25
Flag for a moderator

I've had a couple of similar calls as well; two last weekend, and one today.

The first one I ignored when the recorded message stated that it was a call from the 'BT technical department', and that my internet will be disconnected within 24hrs.  But i received another call a few hours later, so I decided to play along and see what would happen.

The woman I was put through to tried to convince me that both my phone line and internet would be disconnected due to 'hacking from my IP address', but when I mentioned that I wasn't with BT she tried to convince me that Virgin Media use the BT network for their services - I basically told her I didn't believe her, and hung up.

I received another call today, and the guy I was put through to transferred me to 'Vodafone' - when I queried why I was put through to Vodafone the guy said that Vodafone own BT and that all networks use BTs infrastructure.  When it became obvious that I didn't believe him, and told him that I'd received the exact same call last week but hadn't been disconnected yet he hung up.