cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scam? Phone calls from virgin media

Grimble2000
Tuning in

Anyone getting lots of phone calls from Virgin Media wanting to talk about my internet connection? I’m assuming it’s a scam as I’m getting about 10 a day or are they genuine and if so how can I get them stopped?

11 REPLIES 11

goslow
Alessandro Volta

These are scam calls and are best ignored. They seem to be rife at the moment with lots of complaints on the forums about them.

Your best bet would be to look at a call screening/blocking device or phone with those features which will prevent them from ringing through to your phone. However, devices which only block one number at a time are not much use for the automated robo-calls problem because the caller ID numbers are fake and change for each new call.

Have a look at trueCall, CPR Call Blocker and the cordless phone ranges which offer those features.

More here from the NCSC government website

https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/guidance/suspicious-email-actions

Post back if you require more information.

Anankha
Problem sorter

Next time they call make a note of the phone number & post it here.

My Broadband Ping - Virginmedia

kino
On our wavelength

I have had seven phone calls to date from someone claiming to be from Virgin Media (sounded like Indian call centre) who said that VM needed to boost my broadband/internet speed. 

I went along with it for a while to see what they would do.

They asked me to go to my pc/laptop and hit windows-R key and enter eventvwr. This pops up the eventviewer which immediately started alarm bells ringing in my head. They use the eventviewer to show error messages and warnings which, though genuine, are completely harmless. But they use these to try to convince you that there is a problem with your computer/internet.

They then require you to download a program call litemanager which allows them to log into your computer remotely.

From there they can search for any private data - bank details, etc. or install ransomware for which they will ask £100s  to unlock.

You have been warned!

P.S. they are currently phoning me twice a day - even if tell them I don't have virgin media or I don't have a computer.

Best thing to do is just hang up - and tell everyone in your household to do the same.

Anankha
Problem sorter

Yep that ‘smells’ like 100% scam. Event viewer will normally show ‘errors’ but scammers use this to convince people there are problems.

Telling them you have a iMac usully invokes them to hang up.

My Broadband Ping - Virginmedia

Telling them you are running Linux fuddles them, as well,,,,' well, I'm running Linux, so how do I get this 'event viewer up then'  their reply...  'er...yeah, OK' end of call.............😀

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Total scam, just ignore, you are only wasting your time. //

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

01325467788- I was called by this number and they kept going on about how I had been hacked and showed me the evert viewer and then wanted me to run [REMOVED] this- which automatically downloads a file onto your program.

I got this far and then realised as long as I don't run that file I'll be ok. Have deleted the ROM files from my computer and made an excuse about picking up kids and if he could call me back later.

Then thought I should better check online with regards to this incase it is a scam.

SO, glad I did!

[MOD EDIT: Inappropriate Hyperlink removed, please review the Forum Guidelines]

This is exactly what happened to me- I cut the call just as they were asking me to run it.

Sasha_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @neelampj81

Welcome to the forum page and thanks for posting this on here 

Very sorry to hear that you're having this issue with us and so sorry to hear that this number tried to scam you. 

I can confirm this is a scam call and not something we would call you about at all. 

If you are ever concerned by a number, please do let us know and we can take a look into this for you. You can also find out how to block these numbers here

Thanks 

Sasha - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide