cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSL Protocol Error — Site can't provide a secure connection

katharinemadden
Joining in

I'm a web designer and have a client site that's returning an SSL protocol error message when going through Virgin Media (I'm able to load the site with no problem via other ISPs). Confirming this issue is the following site report from Blocked.org:

https://www.blocked.org.uk/site/https://thefreedomarticles.com/

Does anyone know what might be causing this and what would need to be done to fix the issue (which department would I need to contact).

Relevant info: I'm not a VM customer but came upon this issue when using a VM connection. The sire owner has reported other people in the UK with the same issue. After some research I wondered if it might be "parental controls" and if this is the case, that the site is on a list to be filtered, how do I get the site removed from such a list?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Katharine

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

The site works on this VM connection with no filtering in place. Given the content of the site though, it would be unsurprising if it ended up on somebody's filter lists somewhere.

However, putting the domain through various site 'safety' checking sites throws up mixed results (both safe and unsafe returns). The last one came back with this: SSL/TLS Report Results: Certificate Issues.

Critical cert_chain_of_trust failed (expired).

Medium cert_expirationStatus expires < 60 days (37)

which will probably mean more to you as a web designer than they do to me.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

2 REPLIES 2

goslow
Alessandro Volta

The site works on this VM connection with no filtering in place. Given the content of the site though, it would be unsurprising if it ended up on somebody's filter lists somewhere.

However, putting the domain through various site 'safety' checking sites throws up mixed results (both safe and unsafe returns). The last one came back with this: SSL/TLS Report Results: Certificate Issues.

Critical cert_chain_of_trust failed (expired).

Medium cert_expirationStatus expires < 60 days (37)

which will probably mean more to you as a web designer than they do to me.

Thanks for pointing me to SSL Trust — I haven't known of that site. I've passed the report along to my client and hopefully that will be of help to him.